PeterPanettone

GExperts Procedure List: Show ALL procedures in the whole project

I have just submitted the following suggestion to the GExperts ticket list (https://sourceforge.net/p/gexperts/bugs/122/😞

The GExperts Procedure List is such a great addon. But in part it just duplicates the MMX Member Search functionality.

A really unique functionality for the GExperts Procedure List would be to optionally show the procedures of ALL UNITS in the whole project. That would be VERY useful!

Often we look for a specific procedure in the project but don't remember the exact unit where it is located. Ok, we could use the GExpert Grep Search. But a Global Procedure List would be much simpler and faster.

You could use a simple button switch (remember between sessions) to toggle between the local and global scope.

What do you people think?

Edited by PeterPanettone

I think that if you focus more on code organization, you will get more benefits, than from a tool.  That once in a blue moon brain fart that prevents a developer from remembering where the method is located, Grep Search works well and is lightning fast.  Why paid the price to parse the whole project every time you use Gexper'ts Procedure List?  Organize and document your code organization and it will become more intuitive to use IMHO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Often we look for a specific procedure in the project but don't remember the exact unit where it is located. Ok, we could use the GExpert Grep Search. But a Global Procedure List would be much simpler and faster.

You could also use the identifier tab of the GExperts Uses Manager. It gives you the unit name where an identifier is declared and with Ctrl+O you can even open that unit (but it does not jump to that declaration, yet)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Larry Hengen said:

I think that if you focus more on code organization, you will get more benefits, than from a tool.  That once in a blue moon brain fart that prevents a developer from remembering where the method is located, Grep Search works well and is lightning fast.  Why paid the price to parse the whole project every time you use Gexper'ts Procedure List?  Organize and document your code organization and it will become more intuitive to use IMHO.

This is a non-argument because code organization and a good global procure list tool are not opposites: You can and should have BOTH. If somebody asks you whether we should prefer BEER or WINE I would answer: Well, beer tastes better with certain dishes and wine with other dishes. Preferring only one of the two with all dishes is - sorry - stupid.

And if you're that good ad code-organizing I would advise you to write your code with NOTEPAD.

48 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

You could also use the identifier tab of the GExperts Uses Manager. It gives you the unit name where an identifier is declared and with Ctrl+O you can even open that unit (but it does not jump to that declaration, yet)

That would be an EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT way of looking for procedures! (Like for example trying to fill the fuel tank of your car with a spoon).

Edited by PeterPanettone

That depends: If you know the name of the procedure you're looking for, it's fast enough. And that's the use case you were describing:

2 hours ago, dummzeuch said:
5 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Often we look for a specific procedure in the project but don't remember the exact unit where it is located.

19 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

That depends: If you know the name of the procedure you're looking for, it's fast enough. And that's the use case you were describing:

It took the GExperts Uses Manager more then 100 seconds to collect the identifier list.

And: I am not looking for identifiers but for procedures. And I also want to look at the implementation source code preview. That's a totally different purpose.

And even if your code is "well organized" there could be cases where you want to have an overview of all procedures in the project.

And since there is a scope switch you can always have your old legacy old-fashioned list of local procedures.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Hey, nobody forces you to use the Uses Manager. I just thought I'd mention that it can be used that way.

Regarding the long time it takes to build the list: Try it again. It should be much faster after it created the initial cache.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

Hey, nobody forces you to use the Uses Manager. I just thought I'd mention that it can be used that way.

Regarding the long time it takes to build the list: Try it again. It should be much faster after it created the initial cache.

I understand. It's Easter.

You are not only a good programmer but also a very humorous man.

Edited by PeterPanettone