Rudy Velthuis

Mark thread as read?

I know there is a way to mark an entire forum as read, but is there a way to mark a single thread in a forum as read too?

Marking an entire forum as read is a little drastic, IMO, but marking a thread (i.e. all messages currently in that thread) as read would make a lot of sense, IMO.

• Like 1

I always thought that happens as soon as you are in the thread (not necessarily reading it).  But I guess you want to mark it read without entering it, correct?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sherlock said:

I always thought that happens as soon as you are in the thread (not necessarily reading it).  But I guess you want to mark it read without entering it, correct?

Is the entire thread marked as read when I enter it? Or just those parts I can see (first page, second page, etc.)?

I admit I didn't think of that. This is different from NNTP, indeed, where you had a tree view on all messages and you selected only one for reading (still my preference, sigh). Here, when you open a thread, you see the whole bunch, inlined. I never liked that in Java or C#, and I don't like it when reading messages either. Can't they make a web forum that at least behaves a little like NNTP? With proper threading? Didn't Google have something like it?

Edited by Rudy Velthuis

For an old thread with new content, you are positioned at the first unread new comment. If all new comments are shown on that page, the thread is marked as read.

In the case that the following new comments "spill over" into one or more new pages of comments, I am not sure if you have to visit each page?

When i hoover over the title of a thread in the "fluent" layout, a popup is shown. In this popup there's a link "Mark this topic read". Is that what you want?? HTH.

Google Groups do threading and there used to be NNTP support - but - it was a really bad spam hole so they removed the NNTP support.

3 hours ago, Dany Marmur said:

When i hoover over the title of a thread in the "fluent" layout, a popup is shown. In this popup there's a link "Mark this topic read". Is that what you want?? HTH.

Yes, that would be what I meant. But the fluent layout is a little too fluent for me.

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Google Groups do threading and there used to be NNTP support - but - it was a really bad spam hole so they removed the NNTP support.

Which is weird, since AFAIK they started out as NNTP Usenet groups. But I assume they did not moderate or not enough.

OTOH, it seems they still do NNTP, according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups

Spam can be a problem. I know from the Borland and Embarcadero groups. There were days when I cancelled several thousands of spam messages in one group. Fortunately, with XanaNews in the TeamB mode, it was quite easy to do that.

Edited by Rudy Velthuis

That said - there may be other NNTP servers out there that propagate content from the usenet/alternet groups that also are on Google Groups, but if the group was initially made on Google Groups, it is not necessarily so that it is propagated out of Google Groups.

Anyways - NNTP appears to be a thing of the past and there are other federation protocols replacing it in some arenas. IMO, it would have been nice if they revamped it with the necessary security/authentication measures.

4 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

That said - there may be other NNTP servers out there that propagate content from the usenet/alternet groups that also are on Google Groups, but if the group was initially made on Google Groups, it is not necessarily so that it is propagated out of Google Groups.

Anyways - NNTP appears to be a thing of the past and there are other federation protocols replacing it in some arenas. IMO, it would have been nice if they revamped it with the necessary security/authentication measures.

I'm pretty sure that some of the groups accessible in Google Groups are actually Usenet groups. AFAIK content posted on such a group in Google Groups will be propagated to Usenet too. Content posted to Usenet will appear in the corresponding group in Google Groups too.

Could be that they blocked certain spam-infested newsgroups, though.