Sign in to follow this  
DelphiStyles

New VCL Style from DelphiStyles.com

47 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I am at a loss for words. Do people actually use such styles?

Style is not the end design solution. It's only some base for UI. Other part of design are controls, icons and functionality of application.
Let's see on this style with StyleControls VCL demos...

1sctl.png

2sctl.png

3sctl.png

47 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Aw, come on Lars, it's a matter of taste...

Yes, you are right. Developers have different tastes and different applications.

We sure do, because this makes me cringe.  Too much clutter.  
That said - I also hate the currently popular naked "flat UI" design philosophy which takes away most UI guidance and makes you guess if something is a link, a button, or just text - and you have to hover and/or click in the right places to find out.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

That said - I also hate the currently popular naked "flat UI" design philosophy which takes away most UI guidance and makes you guess if something is a link, a button, or just text - and you have to hover and/or click in the right places to find out.

You are not alone. 

20 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

We sure do, because this makes me cringe.  Too much clutter.  

Flat UI can be different. You are exaggerating the problem too much.

We make different styles, including many non-standard projects. And yes, there are people who want to have carbon, aluminum background and etc.

This style demonstrates the capabilities of the VCL styles and ideas themselves.

Also you will not find similar websites. Why applications should be similar?

Styles and third-party controls give oppurtunity to create unique UI for your unique application and this is a rule for multimedia applications, for example. 

Also, if you want to have application with your company style, colors - there is only one way - use skins, styles.

Other important aspect is that you can Enable / Disable VCL styles in your application - just add this option.

1 hour ago, DelphiStyles said:

Also, if you want to have application with your company style, colors - there is only one way - use skins, styles.

Indeed - and DelphiStyles has shown to be a competent and reliable partner for that. Highly recommended!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I may exaggerate the problem, but there is a lot of abuse of the Flat UI as the new mantra of UI design. 

Windows 10 is packed with crappy flat UI, and so are a lot of web UIs too. 

F.x. I really miss proper use of ellipsis in menus and on buttons.  I really miss the use of actual buttons - i.e. something that clearly appears as clickable.

Also you will not find similar websites. Why applications should be similar?

IMO - Applications are running on an OS-specific platform and should adhere to the OS behavior - so that when I change my OS skin, the application will follow, and clickable elements look the same everywhere. 

It is called consistency and helps with guiding the user. The ideal UI is "invisible" - and that does not mean that the button element is not visible, but that the behavior is so natural, you don't have to think about it.  The UI should not get in the way of what you are using it for but lead and guide you through it so that you only need to think about what you are doing, and not about how you are doing it.

For me, the best kind of skinning is the type that is able to visually adapt to the OS UI settings.

My least favorite skinning is elements that visually distract from the flow of a UI, or that interfere with the "normal" UI metaphor for a platform.

The great thing about DelphiStyles is that if the developer using it does it right - I can select a style that is pretty close to the standard OS style.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

For me, the best kind of skinning is the type that is able to visually adapt to the OS UI settings.

My least favorite skinning is elements that visually distract from the flow of a UI, or that interfere with the "normal" UI metaphor for a platform.

Yes, this is why Flat UI is popular, because, for example, Windows 10 is flat and non-flat style will looks not good on it.

Then, based on our experience, developer want to have styles, which looks the same in all platforms and this is one of the reason why he use style.

But, in any case, all our FMX multiplatform styles has a platform specific elements and structure (scrollbars, for example).

Around current VCL Style TechnoLine...

You see that it not flat - as you like. May be background looks defiantly.

But you can change it to solid color or to something new....

tlse.png

On 4/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, Lars Fosdal said:

You don't have to force your users to use any skins, but you can ship skins with your apps and let them select one even run time.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, Lars Fosdal said:

Really? Show me two similar looking app.