dummzeuch

Autocompletion for TEdits revisited

I wrote about autocompletion for TEdits before here and here.

Back then I was using the SHAutoComplete API function in the Shlwapi.dll because I am a lazy basterd™. That hasn’t changed really but I also love fiddling with stuff, so some years ago, I actually added directory and general string completion to dzlib (and apparently didn’t blog about it), this time using the IAutoComplete2 interface as described in this answer on StackOverflow, which I mentioned before.

Today I revisited that code and and added file and directory completion to it, in a way that also allows filtering the files with a given file mask. So the user can easily enter directories and eventually select a file:

autocomplete-files-select-dirs.thumb.png.65f22fe00d8689a1467191059bacb0c1.png

autocomplete-files-select-dirs.thumb.png.a81f4ed39ee9f5b89446d00dd451ef91.png

Read on in the blog post ...

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2019/04/28/autocompletion-for-tedits-revisited/

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I meant to ask, if you tap into windows (as i assume you are doing since you mention a system dll, API and on)... do your users (users of apps with these calls) get some benefit from say "cortana" or some such?

4 hours ago, Dany Marmur said:

I meant to ask, if you tap into windows (as i assume you are doing since you mention a system dll, API and on)... do your users (users of apps with these calls) get some benefit from say "cortana" or some such?

No idea, Cortana is one of the first things I disable when I install Windows. As far as I'm concerned, Cortana is the devilish twin of Clippy.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Cortana is one of the first things I disable when I install Windows

Not sure what I'm doing differently, however I never need to disable it. Unlike Clippy, it never intrudes unless I ask it to; at least I'm assuming that's case, because so far it has been never.

1 hour ago, Dave Nottage said:

Not sure what I'm doing differently, however I never need to disable it. Unlike Clippy, it never intrudes unless I ask it to; at least I'm assuming that's case, because so far it has been never.

Clippy reference!  Wow, that goes back a ways.. mid-90's?

13 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

Cortana is one of the first things I disable when I install Windows. As far as I'm concerned, Cortana is the devilish twin of Clippy.

Mee too 🙂 But clients may ask so...

Good job. Bergsoft also has a TNxAutoCompletion which is very useful: http://dn.bergsoft.net/nxautocompletion-tutorial.htm

BTW, I really love their NextGrid component - fast, quite feature-rich but the code is simple and very easy to tweak. 

But too bad they are not enhancing the V5 but instead re-writing completely the new V6 without backward compatibility.