Yaron

The Android 64bit deadline warnings have started

4 minutes ago, Schokohase said:

New features will always get more attention.

On first view yes.
But, if you look a this thread about this "New feature" Delphi on Android.
What kind of impression do you have 9 days before Google deadline and still no Beta 10.4.?
Is that the attention the customer want to see?

11 minutes ago, RonaldK said:

On first view yes.
But, if you look a this thread about this "New feature" Delphi on Android.
What kind of impression do you have 9 days before Google deadline and still no Beta 10.4.?
Is that the attention the customer want to see?

If I am good in building bicycles I can get more attention when I start building cars.

But now I lost some focus on the bicycles and I cannot improve the cars fast enough to reduce air pollution (because it is all new to me).

Now I have angry customers all the way.

Is that the way I should manage my company at all?

Edited by Guest

27 minutes ago, Markus Kinzler said:

The problems is that further products need more employees not less, as thought by idera.

... as well as previous owners.

• Like 1

But Idera did this  to the extent. They get rid of almost all employess and replaced them by task-by-task "jobbers".

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

Which is my point.  I find it galling that the overwhelming majority of Delphi users are maintaining and developing existing code bases on Windows.  These are the people that are paying Embarcadero.  So why are their needs neglected?

Well... everyone pays anyway 🙂 If I pay for both VCL and FMX, then I would like to get FMX fixed with 64-bit support too. I can only guess EMBA does not have resources to improve both at the same time, so they now focus more on FMX rather than on VCL, so VCL customers must wait, which makes you "angry". Even if I'm minority, I have the same right to ask for it after all, I paid too 🙂 

Anyway... the whole thing seems bit pointless, how long will anyone maintaining Windows app (developing in Delphi new products is a bad decision, now I'm facing that), and who's gonna do this in the future if there are no new Delphi developers? The only way is to attract them to Delphi, again, in my view, only by mobile cross-platform development... .

23 minutes ago, TomDevOps said:

everyone pays anyway

If the bulk of the codebase feels that they aren't getting value for money, they will stop paying. Which hurts you. 

24 minutes ago, TomDevOps said:

Even if I'm minority, I have the same right to ask for it after all, I paid too

Of course. You'd better hope that majority VCL customers keep paying. 

25 minutes ago, TomDevOps said:

how long will anyone maintaining Windows ap

People have been declaring Windows dead for as long as they have been declaring Delphi dead. 

26 minutes ago, TomDevOps said:

if there are no new Delphi developers

Making new delphi developers is easy. You just train your staff. 

27 minutes ago, TomDevOps said:

The only way is to attract them to Delphi, again, in my view, only by mobile cross-platform development

They've been trying this for a long time now and the numbers aren't great. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

64 bit Windows compiler that generates efficient code

If you look at the result of the "new" nextgen compiler for Linux64, ARM64 and macOS64,

The codegen of the compilers are getting more worse rather than better. 

I would assume, that such a goal is far beyond the possibilities of Emba current team.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, RonaldK said:

I would assume, that such a goal is far beyond the possibilities of Emba current team.

Sadly, I've not seen much that gives me cause for optimism.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Markus Kinzler said:

But Idera did this  to the extent. They get rid of almost all employess and replaced them by task-by-task "jobbers".

The Idera idea is, that this model will be more efficient.

Here this interview with Atanas Popov: (german only)
https://www.heise.de/developer/meldung/Embarcadero-Delphi-ist-fuer-uns-ein-Kernprodukt-3252501.html

After 2 years, everyone can see now, how it worked

Edited by RonaldK
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Making new delphi developers is easy. You just train your staff. 

It is easy to say, my example: three Delphi guys remained, rest of the two teams are using mostly Microsoft tech-stack, and they are not interested in Delphi projects, so you may ask politely, but they can refuse, or if you try to force them, they will quit, after all, it is very easy to find C#, Java, JavaScript jobs while Delphi is non-existence on the market... and now we are building Dart team to get rid of Delphi... .

1 hour ago, TomDevOps said:

It is easy to say, my example: three Delphi guys remained, rest of the two teams are using mostly Microsoft tech-stack, and they are not interested in Delphi projects, so you may ask politely, but they can refuse, or if you try to force them, they will quit, after all, it is very easy to find C#, Java, JavaScript jobs while Delphi is non-existence on the market... and now we are building Dart team to get rid of Delphi... .

Perhaps this comes down to perception, and the type of work involved, and the other attractions of the company, but personally I hire programmers.  If they don't know a specific language when they arrive, we teach them that language.  I don't really buy in to the idea that there are Java programmers and C# programmers and Python programmers and so on.  In my mind there are just programmers.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Perhaps this comes down to perception, and the type of work involved, and the other attractions of the company, but personally I hire programmers.  If they don't know a specific language when they arrive, we teach them that language.  I don't really buy in to the idea that there are Java programmers and C# programmers and Python programmers and so on.  In my mind there are just programmers.  

No no no, this topic is a highly armed war zone.

Never trust a Java developer (C++ you can trust, its a COMPILER)  :classic_biggrin:

@David Heffernan (Oh man, of coarse you're right )

13 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

I don't really buy in to the idea that there are Java programmers and C# programmers and Python programmers and so on.  In my mind there are just programmers.  

You and I don't agree on much very often, but we can agree on this point.  For instance, I'm a programmer, who happens to work primarily in C++ and Delphi, but I will reach into Java and C# and even VB and Assembly when a task requires it.  I think in terms of logic and tasks, and then write specific code in the syntax of whatever language I'm working with at the time to accomplish those things.  Programming is programming, differences between various languages are just a matter of syntax and libraries available.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Programming is programming, differences between various languages are just a matter of syntax and libraries available.

I even have to deal with Scratch these days, which is close to what I would call "non-programming language",

but surely I'm wrong.

Edited by Rollo62

10 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

You and I don't agree on much very often, but we can agree on this point.  For instance, I'm a programmer, who happens to work primarily in C++ and Delphi, but I will reach into Java and C# and even VB and Assembly when a task requires it.  I think in terms of logic and tasks, and then write specific code in the syntax of whatever language I'm working with at the time to accomplish those things.  Programming is programming, differences between various languages are just a matter of syntax and libraries available.

Thanks. Actually I think we agree on most things, we just have a disagreement on the mechanics of SO. I don't think that's very important in the grand scheme of things, and I am extremely appreciative and admiring of all the good work you do in the Delphi community.

• Like 6

Embarcadero customers can submit extension requests for Android 32-bit app updates to existing Google Play Store applications until August 2020.

It's very positive that there's enough time for embt to implement a 64 bit compiler for android. On the other hand I afraid of them take use of the timeframe.