Yaron

The Android 64bit deadline warnings have started

But you cannot survive just with legacy! The expenses for maintenance would be copable when development would be steady in cadence with the plattforms. It is a great problem when there is the need for "reaction" in hassle.

EMBT have ti build a homogenous platform with one front end (compiler) per language and one back end per platform. The development should be decoupled ( compiler, code gen, runtime, ide).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Sure it's down to a lack of resources. But that's a consequence of expanding to new platforms. Each additional platform comes with a maintenance cost.  That cost is paid for out of revenue. The bulk of the revenue comes from customers that are using the legacy platforms.  

If Emba continue to neglect their core business (Windows development tools) then eventually customers will look elsewhere.

Can't argue that...

Problem is that expansion to other platforms started as customers request. If we all knew then what we know now, maybe things would play out differently.... on the other hand, maybe not... when you have need to support other platforms and your toolset does not have them, you have to find some that does... when you start moving away, sometimes you may be inclined to move away completely.

Also, development team shrinking process happened after expansion to other platforms... Quite unexpectedly, if I may say, because at that point it should have been obvious that more platforms means more work and more work requires more people, not less.

We can argue here until the end of the world, but how can you argue anything when actual events (decisions) defy all logic. For all we know, maybe even without additional platforms Windows side would be in similar position as it is now.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Markus Kinzler said:

But you cannot survive just with legacy! The expenses for maintenance would be copable when development would be steady in cadence with the plattforms. It is a great problem when there is the need for "reaction" in hassle.

EMBT have ti build a homogenous platform with one front end (compiler) per language and one back end per platform. The development should be decoupled ( compiler, code gen, runtime, ide).

I dispute that. I don't see anything wrong with a business model that concentrates on enhancing and developing their core market. Imagine what could have been achieved on Windows if all the resource that was used on the new platforms had been spent on Win32 and Win64? 

Remember also that the vast majority of the income is still from the Windows tools. 

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Problem is that expansion to other platforms started as customers request.

Sometimes it takes strength to say no to some customers. 

• Like 1

Imagine what could have been achieved on Windows if all the resource that was used on the new platforms had been spent on Win32 and Win64? 

Because they see no need for impovement here, i don't theink the product would be much better.

Sometimes it takes strength to say no to some customers. 

This wouldn't change much. There's seems no need to invest for earning money. Business isn't to create tools but only to earn more money with less effort.

6 minutes ago, Markus Kinzler said:

Because they see no need for impovement here, I don't think the product would be much better

Again I don't think that's true. Certainly in conversations with folks at Emba they do recognise many issues with their current product on Windows. 

Certainly in conversations with folks at Emba they do recognise many issues with their current product on Windows. 

Perhaps employees. But the decision makers beeing responsible don't take the steps needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Learn how private equity firms work and you understand why things happen as they do.

Agreed.  After being bought out last year by a PE firm, I can perceive their actions a little more clearly now.  IMHO, there is no amount of bitching in this forum that is going to change their direction one bit.  

58 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

IMHO, there is no amount of bitching in this forum that is going to change their direction one bit.  

perhaps, our time or money investment to FPC/Lazarus could change EMBT behavior. Skip subscription fee once, and invest it to the better cause. Let EMBT know, that you did so..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlekXL said:

Skip subscription fee once, and invest it to the better cause. Let EMBT know, that you did so..

If everyone will do this than delphi will be history immediately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Markus Kinzler said:

If everyone will do this than delphi will be history immediately

You should never underestimate people's foolishness, Markus. Smart people are always a minority.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:33 AM, Rollo62 said:

Why has Unity such permssion ? Maybe simply because somebody as Unity was earger to ask Google about it.

The reason was clearly stated in Google's deadline anouncement:

The three most used engines all currently support 64-bit (Unreal & Cocos2d since 2015, Unity since 2018). We understand that migrating a 3rd party game engine is an intensive process with long lead times.

Since Unity only recently began providing 64-bit support in versions 2017.4 and 2018.2, we are granting an automatic extension to existing games using versions 5.6 or older until August 2021. Unity provides guides that can help you through the process of upgrading to a 64-bit compliant version.

• Like 1

How can we fake Delphi apps to get recognized as Unity from the Google algorithm ? 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

How can we fake Delphi apps to get recognized as Unity from the Google algorithm ? 😁

You can't.  The apps have to actually be build with Unity.

• Sad 1

On 5/9/2019 at 7:05 PM, Stefan Glienke said:

Learn how private equity firms work and you understand why things happen as they do.

bull's-eye

Let us hope they get their 64bit act done and that things will improve until the 128bit generation needs to be tackled.

Further HGGC should already start to have their lawyers prepare for the "we will prevent any more devtool competition on our platform"-strategies of MS, Google and Apple. Supreme Court ruling on Apple Appstore days ago makes hope.

Edited by Roland__K

On 5/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, AlekXL said:

perhaps, our time or money investment to FPC/Lazarus could change EMBT behavior. Skip subscription fee once, and invest it to the better cause. Let EMBT know, that you did so..

I installed lazarus today out of disgust and found a bug with the second control i dropped on a form on the mac.  not a good sign,

5 hours ago, Mike Margerum said:

I installed lazarus today out of disgust and found a bug with the second control i dropped on a form on the mac.  not a good sign,

32 or 64bit Lazarus?

Trunk or stable release?

7 hours ago, Ugochukwu Mmaduekwe said:

32 or 64bit Lazarus?

Trunk or stable release?

2.0.2 FPC 3.0.4 32 but mac.  dropped a date time picker on brand new form and when trying to open it it opens and then quickly closes until the 4th attempt.  It's not a knock on Lazarus, if i had the time id figure out why, but i don't.  At this point, i need a rock solid platform to build a saas app on.  I'll continue with Go and Vue/Vuetify.  They have been fantastic for me.  At this point, other than for hobby, i don't see the point in building native desktop apps anymore at least for what I do.  EMB thankfully pushed me over the finish line with this silly attempt at extracting money out of people.  Too bad because i really like object pascal and the VCL.  

8 hours ago, Ugochukwu Mmaduekwe said:

32 or 64bit Lazarus?

Trunk or stable release?

I may try it on windows and if it works ok i may try it there.  i'd imagine 95% of my target demo would be windows users anyway.  I'm really on the fence here whether to uses something native (lazarus, QT, wxWindows) or just go pure web.  The web stuff is, at this point, a superior development experience but these frameworks get rewritten every few years and I build software that runs for decades.  Maybe thats just not possible anymore