hi all, 

Just wondering what UI tools you using for Git? I have had play around with several tools and can't find one which have most features we required: 

• GitHub Desktop - it's clean and simple, I really like it, but can't check history of files, can edit changes directly inside the tool
  • Visual Studio - bit complicated to show what exactly changed and also cannot pick a file and view history directly
  • Tortoise Git - not sure, don't feel like it's easy to commit 
  • SourceTree - has a lot of features but slow to pull changes, the history display is complicated 
  • Delphi itself - very confusing when viewing the history

Thanks 

Justin 

Hi...:classic_cool:

TortoiseGit with overlay icons in the explorer and BeyondCompare as Merge/Diff Tool. :classic_cheerleader:

Edited by haentschman
  • Like 2

I don't use Visual Studio for Git, but Visual Studio Code with GitLens. And, from time to time, the Windows explorer integration from TortoiseGit. As far as I recall, Visual Studio didn't even have support for Git stashes until VS 2019.

Edited by Der schöne Günther

I use both TortoiseGit and https://gitforwindows.org/ without any problem. Comitting shouldn't feel like it's not easy. I've worked with TortoiseSVN (and still do) as well, and with git you just need to remember you're comitting to something local and still need to push to a remote somewhere. (and/or fetch and merge)

Many tools are just too basic. Only TortoiseGit provides almost all options in useful ways. Only issue is that it take time to configure it in way that you want and learn ways to do things. Like that you can create/switch branches from Log view etc.

It last year there was really huge improvements in Git for Windows and TortoiseGit.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Hard to see how source tree could be slow to pull when all it is doing is shelling out to git...... 

maybe just myself, I feel source tree pulling very slow compare to GitHub Desktop

I'm sure you are right. It just seems weird that any git program could have performance issues when all they are doing is wrapping git. 

58 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

I'm sure you are right. It just seems weird that any git program could have performance issues when all they are doing is wrapping git. 

It is not what you wrap, but how you wrap it. 

There were some issues with SourceTree related both to embedded version of Git and GUI itself. I don't know all the details, but the latest version works fine again, and yes it was never really lightning fast.

Perhaps the pull is long done, and the GUI is just having trouble building the tree... they can't all be using power tools like us now, can they? :classic_ninja:

I think IDE should support version control systems integration. Delphi has it at some basic level.

I use IntelliJ IDEA as Pascal IDE and do most Git operations within the IDE as it comes with very good integration of various VCS including Git.

Well, I'm just coming backup to report that, for my tasks GitExtensions works better than TortoiseGIT, thanks for this discussion :)

• Like 2