Stefan Glienke

Jumping to methods via procedure list does not expand region

When the method/routine being jumped to via procedure list is inside a collapsed region this region is not being expanded causing weird behavior.

Same is the case for using "Previous/Next Identifier Reference" (Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down)

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

Please file a bug report.

I thought, that is what I just did... - and no, I am not creating a sourceforge account just for that.

Edited by Stefan Glienke

That is like me saying I won't create a BitBucket account to file a report for Spring4D.  How would you feel if people won't take the 2 minutes to sign up and file a report?

• Like 2

If you care about quality it does not really matter where the bug was reported. What matters is that people who need to know are aware of the bug.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

If you care about quality it does not really matter where the bug was reported. What matters is that people who need to know are aware of the bug.

I beg to differ.  If you already have time limitations (who doesn't) and are supporting an open source effort that benefits the community, adding the requirement that you collect, properly interpret, and enter bug reports on behalf of people already benefiting from your efforts is not only inconsiderate, but substantially reduces the time you have to fix the bugs.  Getting complete bug reports that are reproducible can be a challenge at the best of times so it requires a more structured approach to get the necessary information.  Requiring the user invest some time in providing a bug report reduces the number of unreproducible bugs, and ensures the reporter has some skin in the game in terms of getting a fix.

Heck, I don't even like it that EMBT doesn't have automatic bug report submissions to QP from the IDE when it throws and exception!

• Like 1

@Larry Hengen How many open source projects do you maintain? So speak for yourself - I have received enough issue reports over the years not via bitbucket but on forums, via email or someone told me personally that I then either entered myself or just fixed (yes I need to make a habit of first reporting and then fixing so its documented outside of just a commit that says fixed xyz). It does not matter where but how and what. A poor report with zero info on bitbucket is as time consuming as a bad one elsewhere.

• Like 3

Any developer or organisation that cares about quality should be flexible enough to accept bug reports from a variety of channels.

Clearly if the reporter can enter a high quality report in the project bug tracker, then that is the ideal. But in reality that is not always possible. Sometimes these reports are unclear and imprecise and the project owner has to edit the report.  And sometimes the reporter just won't take the required steps. Sometimes the reporter is stubborn and for inexplicable reasons refuses to give their email address and a password to sourceforge  😉

But what developer would here of a bug in their software and not want to fix it?  Any developer that is prepared to let bugs pass if they aren't in the tracker should just give up.

Incidentally, it grinds my gears that Emba killed QC without transferring open reports to the replacement. On numerous occasions I have been asked by Emba staff to resubmit to QP the litany of open floating point related bugs that I submitted to QC.  It makes no sense to me at all that any developers that care about quality would do that.

• Like 3

If you are using the code yourself you want to get the bug fixed.

If you are only producing for others you want to get the bug reported.

6 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

@Larry Hengen How many open source projects do you maintain? So speak for yourself

I maintain one on SourceForge and have several small Repos on GitHub and I do speak for only myself.  I can understand your viewpoint that anyone who cares about quality will accept a report from anywhere, but I feel that taking the time to report a bug shows a commitment on your part as a developer to quality.  It works both ways....the receiving developer and submitting developer should be bound by the same commitment to quality, otherwise all you're advocating is hypocrisy.  End users are another story, and it's a choice as to whether or not you want to chase down bugs reported on any medium depending on the quality of the information.

• Like 1