Mike Torrettinni

Do you design each form for separate case, or use common forms for similar design?

I use form inheritance all the time.

I have a base class that implements DPI Awareness on older Delphi versions (pre-XE10).

From this, I inherited a new form class that handles multi-language (using dxGettext). 

And from this, I inherit a few form classes defining a consistent look-and-feel, like using my favorite font (Tahoma) and a top-aligned panel with our company logo.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dany Marmur said:

Simply create (if you have the time and budget). HTH, /D

Thank you, I know sometimes it's hard to give advice on my questions - sometimes they are more a discussion than problems looking for solution.

18 minutes ago, PeterBelow said:

The dialog contained frames for the user to specify the search critertia, each of which had a dropdown list with the available searchable properties, applicable operators, and input controls (dynamically adjusted according to property type) to specify the criteria.

Common form with frames, and it was useful. OK. Now, as you look back, would you do it same or similar way, or you would choose different strategy for same feature?

18 minutes ago, A.M. Hoornweg said:

And from this, I inherit a few form classes defining a consistent look-and-feel, like using my favorite font (Tahoma) and a top-aligned panel with our company logo.

Nice, thank you for real world example. Make sense, I could use similar concept for may search forms, if I keep a few of them.. or even if I have frames, to have unified look and feel.

1 minute ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Thank you, I know sometimes it's hard to give advice on my questions - sometimes they are more a discussion than problems looking for solution.

Common form with frames, and it was useful. OK. Now, as you look back, would you do it same or similar way, or you would choose different strategy for same feature?

If I build an application using the same framework I would definitely use the same approach again. In fact I could reuse much of the old code 1:1 in this case since the dialog and its frames are completely independent of the actual data classes to search.

15 minutes ago, PeterBelow said:

If I build an application using the same framework I would definitely use the same approach again. In fact I could reuse much of the old code 1:1 in this case since the dialog and its frames are completely independent of the actual data classes to search.

Good to know!

14 hours ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Thank you, very precise explanation. Will need more time to process some things

thanks. Unfortunately, it's a lot of material to squeeze into the allotted time. I had to cut out some stuff, and it was simpler things that I assumed most people would know. I've probably gotten more flack for that than anything. I should probably re-do it and include the detailed stuff I cut out, and go a lot slower. I think it would fit nicely in 90 minutes.

Also, in one sense, everything I discuss there is very simple. It's just not obvious, nor is it how things are usually done when you're talking about interfacing with forms.

Think of a form as any other type of object, and my discussion will make more sense.

Edited by David Schwartz

I have just discovered a component on the Windows 10 tab called TCardPanel. Seems very similar to a page control, but without the tabs. Maybe of some use.

4 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I have just discovered a component on the Windows 10 tab called TCardPanel. Seems very similar to a page control, but without the tabs. Maybe of some use.

The classic way to do that is a page control where every tab has TabVisible set to False

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

The classic way to do that is a page control where every tab has TabVisible set to False

Yes, that's how I use it. Works good.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:27 PM, David Schwartz said:

See if my CodeRage 9 presentation gives you any useful ideas:

http://w5a.com/u/coderage-9-talk

Hi David,  I just stumbled across this thread and saw your video, I remember seeing it sometime ago, at the end there is this link: http://goo.gl/8GRLDk but isn't available anymore, would you mind to share again the code of this sample or any other similar you have available?  I would like to play around with it if you don't mind.

Thank you.