RadStudio Roadmap 2019

Delphi LSP, YAY!

But also for Delphi 10.4 Metal 2, YAY!!

I'm really giddy like little girl, right now. :classic_cheerleader:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Metal 2

What's so interesting about that?

I still don't get quite behind that language server thing. I see that they will be able to delegate things like Code Completion and Error Insight to some external process in the background.

Is that also going to work the other way round? Will tools like VS Code be able to access Delphi's debugger?

I am already looking forward to 10.4 because of High DPI. Maybe I will once again be able to use Delphi at home, not just at work.

Edited by Der schöne Günther

2 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

I still don't get quite behind that language server thing. I see that they will be able to delegate things like Code Completion and Error Insight to some external process in the background.

Same here. Perhaps it's a important thing, but what exactly is the benefit for a single dev like you and me?

Besides, a working error insight would be almost like heresy. There's never been anything like this for Delphi before! 😈

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:
20 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Metal 2

At this time FMX for mobile devices is rendering via OpenGL. OpenGL in iOS however is deprecated. I don't know the situation in Android, but for iOS this is really good news and leads to faster rendering in Delphi apps.

I still don't get quite behind that language server thing.

At the moment the parsers for the code completion and error inside from the ide differ from the parsers of the compilers.

17 minutes ago, Markus Kinzler said:

Promised, not delivered!

Of course, I'd be ecstatic otherwise 😉

Concerning the language server complex, I recommend starting in our very own thread on that subject:

• Like 2

At this time FMX for mobile devices is rendering via OpenGL. OpenGL in iOS however is deprecated. I don't know the situation in Android, but for iOS this is really good news and leads to faster rendering in Delphi apps.

The better thing would be switching to Vulkan. One solution for all platforms (Windows, Linux, Android: native, macOS and ios via MoltenVK (included in Vulkan SDK).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Markus Kinzler said:

The better thing would be switching to Vulkan.

Sure, but they could have stuck to old OpenGL drivers, just because.

Not really. OpenGL isn't as good as Vulkan and MoltenGL isn't free as MoltenVK.

Now FMX uses:

DX11 on Windows, OpenGL on macOS (and Linux inofficially), OpenGL ES on Android and iOS.

Instead of a new implementation:

DX12 on Windows, Metal on macOS and iOS, Vulkan on Android and Linux it would be better to concentrate on one solution.

• Like 1

Android 64-Bit support is now scheduled to 10.4 and dated to "late 2019" .

Does this means: the Delphi Android development will end at 1. August and maybe continue in late 2019?

4 minutes ago, RonaldK said:

Android 64-Bit support is now scheduled to 10.4 and dated to "late 2019" .

Does this means: the Delphi Android development will end at 1. August and maybe continue in late 2019? 

Seems no problem for embt.:classic_wacko:

If you need it earlier you can apply for the beta.

Surely there will be a Beta phase before, which should allow to produce productive code as well.

Edited by Rollo62

41 minutes ago, Markus Kinzler said:

Not really. OpenGL isn't as good as Vulkan and MoltenGL isn't free as MoltenVK.

Now FMX uses:

DX11 on Windows, OpenGL on macOS (and Linux inofficially), OpenGL ES on Android and iOS.

Instead of a new implementation:

DX12 on Windows, Metal on macOS and iOS, Vulkan on Android and Linux it would be better to concentrate on one solution.

Right, but you can never be sure about some unexpected sidekicks ...

We have to hope that the choice might be wise and long-lasting.

2 hours ago, Markus Kinzler said:

Seems no problem for embt.

The coveted Enterprise sector will just love this..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TiGü said:

Same here. Perhaps it's a important thing, but what exactly is the benefit for a single dev like you and me?

"...a single Language Server can be re-used in multiple development tools, which in turn can support multiple languages with minimal effort."

In theory it would divorce the Delphi language from the Delphi IDE. This would allow for Delphi code completion and other features to be accessed from tools such as VS Code, Eclipse, Sublime Text and anything else implementing the protocol  and enable supporting additional languages in the Delphi IDE. In theory. I can't shake the feeling that Embarcadero will find some way to lock things down.

But the idea is really great and I've been advocating for this since the concept was first revealed by Microsoft and Red Hat.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Der schöne Günther said:

I still don't get quite behind that language server thing.

Worth watching for insights into the value of a language server:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Der schöne Günther said:

Is that also going to work the other way round? Will tools like VS Code be able to access Delphi's debugger?

No. With LSP tools like VS Code and many other editors will offer error insight, code completion and some other services for Pascal language.

But this:

We plan to integrate Delphi language support into LLDB, and migrate to using it for key platforms, starting with mobile and macOS

When (if?) these plans become reality other IDEs will be able to offer debugging for Pascal language. IDEA with I-Pascal already supports LLDB.

I hope the language support in LLDB will be better than in GDB otherwise debugging experience will resemble one from Lazarus.

Edited by Georgge Bakh
  • Like 2