Sign in to follow this  
Richard_Stevens

Berlin and Tokyo slow compared to Seattle

Hi - I wonder if anybody else can confirm they've found that Berlin and Tokyo are much slower than Seattle when it comes to opening forms and data modules with relatively large numbers of components on them?

It can take 2-4 times longer to open the same data module in Tokyo than it does in Seattle. This is when running in identical VMWare VMs with near identical configurations in terms of add-ins, components etc. (Except for Castalia - see below).

It's so significant and has such an impact on productivity that I've opted to stay on Seattle for VCL work and only use the newer IDEs for mobile.

My suspicion is that it's to do with the Castalia additions, which you could disable in Seattle but you're stuck with (I believe) from Berlin onwards. But that's only a hunch based on a few comments I saw in newsgroups etc.

Thanks

Richard

• Sad 1

The Design-time code of 3rd party components can also be a factor. Is the project 100 percent Emba VCL? Or are ide packages installed?

Dany - we have a fairly large number of 3rd party components (DevExpress, Raize, TeeChart, ReportBuilder the primary ones) - but as I said we have the same components installed in both IDEs. But no question, Tokyo and Berlin really seem to struggle to open data modules which Seattle opens in a couple of seconds.

Your response seems to indicate you haven't found that to be a problem yourself?

Thanks

Richard

Correct, i have had extensive problems with DX skin/barmgr/ribbon. But they were fairly consistent over mentioned versions of the IDE and are kind-of-solved by now.

It's surely possible to run 3rd party designtime code in debug mode, but considering the effort may not be worthwhile.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

We had the same problem with very slow opening of forms.

At the end we tracked it down to a problem with LiveBindings. Disabling LiveBindings (removing the related component packages in the IDE) accelerated the opening of forms dramatically. That's of course a solution only for projects where you don't rely on LiveBindings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fred Ahrens said:

We had the same problem with very slow opening of forms.

At the end we tracked it down to a problem with LiveBindings. Disabling LiveBindings (removing the related component packages in the IDE) accelerated the opening of forms dramatically. That's of course a solution only for projects where you don't rely on LiveBindings.

I can confirm this, the project was so big that was impossible to open with LiveBindings packages installed, so I removed it, and it worked. I would like to know why a project that did not use Livebindings (Delphi 7) is affected in this way.

• Like 1

Thanks Fred - and did you find it noticeably worse in Berlin and Tokyo than Seattle. Obviously Seattle has LiveBindings as well, so I wondered if they changed how they worked in the later versions.

I'll try removing them anyway from Tokyo and will report back - hopefully I can just remove them for VCL projects as we do use LB a little in some mobile work (though I tend to regret it later).

Richard

On 10/29/2018 at 11:14 AM, Richard_Stevens said:

Thanks Fred - and did you find it noticeably worse in Berlin and Tokyo than Seattle. Obviously Seattle has LiveBindings as well, so I wondered if they changed how they worked in the later versions.

I'll try removing them anyway from Tokyo and will report back - hopefully I can just remove them for VCL projects as we do use LB a little in some mobile work (though I tend to regret it later).

Richard

I have no hard evidence here. We had the problem for a while and it also took a while (several months) for tracking this down to the LiveBindings. I remember we had hope that Tokyo would solve the problem - but it didn't. And if I remember right, the performance problem wasn't that big in Seattle.

Meanwhile we use two profiles in Delphi: one with and one without LiveBindings. I just created a shortcut to bds.exe on my Desktop with parameter -rUseLiveBindings (you can use whatever name you prefer). The default profile has LiveBindings disabled (also for mobile), and the second profile has LiveBindings enabled. The downside of this approach is, you'll need to install all 3rd party component packages for both profiles. But you may copy all entries in registry from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\19.0 to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\UseLiveBindungs\19.0 first before making the individual adjustments to each profile.  (as mentioned before "UseLivebindings" is the name you assign to this second profile via the -r command line switch).

Just asked this in the Webinar, and got encouraging answer (which confirms Fred's hypothesis):

Q. Did I just hear that complex forms / data modules should now load a lot faster? Has been one of my biggest bugbears in Berlin and Tokyo...
A: Yes - performance problems loading very complex forms (often caused by LiveBindings even if it was not used on that form) are solved

Edited by Richard_Stevens
  • Like 1