Remy Lebeau

Learn How To Deploy Delphi 10.3 Rio Android Apps To Google Play With Android 64-bit Requirements

tl;dr.

Bottom line is that Delphi 10.3.x Rio and C++Builder 10.3.x Rio 32-bit apps can continue to be deployed via Google Play using android:maxSdkVersion=”27″ to 90% of Android devices and Embarcadero has Android 64-bit support for Android 9 Pie (Android 28+) devices on their roadmap.

For me, the key info are:

A more experimental view of Android 64-bit app requirement is that all that Google Play seems to currently check for is that a library (or just a file) exists at lib/arm64-v8a/libMyapp.so in addition to the 32-bit version of your app located at lib/armeabi-v7a/libMyapp.so. I uploaded an Android APK to Google Play with a 32-bit FireMonkey library generated with Delphi 10.3.x Rio in both the armeabi-v7a and arm64-v8a directories and Google Play displayed no warning about missing Android 64-bit support. According to this StackOverflow answer “64-bit Android can use 32-bit native libraries as a fallback, only if System.loadlLibrary() can’t find anything better in the default search path.”. What this means is that it may be possible create a 64-bit Android binary shim in the arm64-v8a directory using a different tool (the Android NDK?) that loads your FireMonkey 32-bit binary from the armeabi-v7a directory if you need to target Android 9 Pie (Android 28+) devices with RAD Studio 10.3.x apps through Google Play.

Would someone know how to develop this solution? Could it be generic?

I would pay for it. I imagine he would not be the only one.

Sorry, my English is not very good.

is legal? any ban risk?

On 7/21/2019 at 2:32 AM, Juan Martinez said:

For me, the key info are:

Would someone know how to develop this solution? Could it be generic?

I would pay for it. I imagine he would not be the only one.

Sorry, my English is not very good.

PM me with a budget. I can probably put together some people on UpWork with Android NDK experience to build a 64bit shim.

Few different options. Use one of the tools that has an exception (Corona Labs, Adobe AIR, Unity) to load the 32bit SO file. Use something like Flutter which compiles to 64bit to load the 32bit SO file. Or compile a 64bit C++ SO file with the Android NDK to loadlibrary the 32bit SO file.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:38 AM, Eli M. said:

PM me with a budget. I can probably put together some people on UpWork with Android NDK experience to build a 64bit shim.

Few different options. Use one of the tools that has an exception (Corona Labs, Adobe AIR, Unity) to load the 32bit SO file. Use something like Flutter which compiles to 64bit to load the 32bit SO file. Or compile a 64bit C++ SO file with the Android NDK to loadlibrary the 32bit SO file.

Hi Eli M.  do you have some kind of instrutions to use one of the above few different options that you mention? 

On 7/31/2019 at 5:04 PM, Jose Morango said:

Hi Eli M.  do you have some kind of instrutions to use one of the above few different options that you mention? 

Not written up no. .SO (SharedObjects) files are basically DLLs. You can either take the one Delphi makes and put it into some other tools APK package and call it from the code in the other tool. Or you could take the 64bit version of the .SO their tool generates and have it call your .SO file. And then put their .SO 64bit in your Delphi APK and have it call your 32bit .SO.

21 minutes ago, Jose Morango said:

This is not working anymore, google just block it

https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/additional-information-for-the-android-32-bit-extension

This proposal is still processing for me, at least Google didn't directly said NO.
Currently the cases were pushed from 1st operator to technical team, waiting for their answer.
I hope that I will hear some positive results, to move on with my work.

30 minutes ago, Rollo62 said:

https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/additional-information-for-the-android-32-bit-extension

This proposal is still processing for me, at least Google didn't directly said NO.
Currently the cases were pushed from 1st operator to technical team, waiting for their answer.
I hope that I will hear some positive results, to move on with my work.

In the firt week of August  I was able to submit my 32 bit app using the sdk 27 as target, but today I was not able to do it anymore, So I filled a Extension request.