Darian Miller

Google Play Store - request extension for Delphi apps

How to request an extension: 

1. Visit https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/publishing 
  2. Fill out the form and select ‘I submitted a new app or app update but it is not live’
  3. In the feedback field, indicate that your application was built with Embarcadero Delphi or C++Builder, and that you’d like to request an extension to the 64-bit requirement 

https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/google-play-store-android-32-bit-extension-for-delphi-and-c-builder-customers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

An MVP confirmed that they were granted an exemption for their app for ~1 year.

I was trying to prepare new versions until yesterday, so I had hope that until 31.07.19 app still were processing normally.
Unfortunately it seems not the case for me, at least for some apps I got a note.

In parallel I asked for the Delphi extensions of various apps,
but I got no direct, automatic "email received" message from Google, which is somewhat strange.
Instead I received only a very simple "be patient" site after filling out the form.

Thank you for contacting us. Please note, we do our best to reply within 2 business days. However, some issues can take longer to respond. Please expect additional delays during holidays. We appreciate your patience while we investigate your report.

Does anybody else have this experience, and how long should I wait until Googles reply (3 days, 4 days, ...) ?
I'm afraid they are a little bit busy now, checking a lot of extensions.
Would be good to know how long this process might need, and how many pitfalls it might have,
please share if you have some tipps and experiences.

Edit:
Oh, sorry. I just doublechecked, the app seems online in the store, although yesterday it didn't proceed as normally.
The "processing" seems to take much longer as usual (seems to getting a little closer to Apple procedures now :classic_huh:)

Edited by Rollo62

From Google Play today : 

Thank you for your patience while we reviewing your request. 

I'm happy to inform you that your app "*********" has been approved for 64-bit extension. Please note that the extension will only be given until August 1st, 2020.

In addition, once your app is compliant with 64-bit, please let me know by replying this email. 

Thank you for supporting Google Play. Have a nice day!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't heard anything from them for the last 2 days.

Something else----when the play console shows warnings, does this mean the app is not being published?

2 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

Something else----when the play console shows warnings, does this mean the app is not being published?

Warnings are just a warnings for a future. It is wise to read those, but they don't prevent publishing. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

I haven't heard anything from them for the last 2 days.

It was not a new warning, aside the already known ones, but in my case it took much longer to process until it appears in the PlayStore (about some hours now).
Usually when I published an app, I could see immediately a note "its available in the play store now", but this time not.
Probably this was only because of bad timing of my update 31.07. (one day before the 01.08. break), I haven't checked whats happening now, after 01.08., but I soon will check that (if it takes any longer with the confirmation letter from Google).

Edited by Rollo62

On 8/1/2019 at 11:34 AM, mausmb said:
From Google Play today : 

Thank you for your patience while we reviewing your request. 

I'm happy to inform you that your app "*********" has been approved for 64-bit extension. Please note that the extension will only be given until August 1st, 2020.

In addition, once your app is compliant with 64-bit, please let me know by replying this email. 

Thank you for supporting Google Play. Have a nice day!

How long you had to wait?

I'm unable to proceed an update to the app and my update brings critical bug fixes. I have asked (as instructed by Sarina) week ago and still no response from Google 😞

My clients are already a bit pissed off, we are still promising them fix, and although it has been fixed, we cannot it roll-out 😞 

1 hour ago, TomDevOps said:

My clients are already a bit pissed off, we are still promising them fix, and although it has been fixed, we cannot it roll-out 😞 

Can't they install the .apk file directly in the meantime?

9 hours ago, toms said:

Can't they install the .apk file directly in the meantime?

No way... there are over 3500 users and growing (iOS and Android)... we offer our app in Google Play and AppStore only for a good reason, no-one wants to install via other minor channels, and manual installation is absolutely no-go 🙈 Also, most of our Android users use Android 9, so we cannot cut Android 9 support like Remy Lebeau once suggested in other post (publish app and restrict app from Android 9, then 32-bit update should be accepted).

I have to wait bit longer I guess...

20 hours ago, TomDevOps said:

How long you had to wait?

I'm unable to proceed an update to the app and my update brings critical bug fixes. I have asked (as instructed by Sarina) week ago and still no response from Google 😞

Hi,

from July 23 - to August 1.

br,

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 1:41 PM, TomDevOps said:

we cannot cut Android 9 support like Remy Lebeau once suggested in other post (publish app and restrict app from Android 9, then 32-bit update should be accepted).

That was posted before I saw Embarcadero had made a deal with Google to offer an extension for apps written in Delphi/C++Builder.  Obviously, you should go that route instead.

Edited by Remy Lebeau

I did Remy... and today got the rejection:

Hi,

Thanks for your patience while we reviewed your 64-bit extension request.

Unfortunately, your request has been rejected. For further updates to your app after Aug 1, 2019, please submit your updates that provide 64-bit versions in addition to 32-bit versions. 

The Android developers guide provides step-by-step instructions for assessing the use of native code and becoming 64-bit compliant, including identifying native libraries, building with 64-bit libraries, testing, and publishing.

You can also check our blog for updates on this announcement:

Please let me know if you have any other questions, and thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Katy
Google Play Developer Support

I have emailed back, I have no idea, if EMBA did the deal, why it is so hard to get this? I have followed the instructions:

https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/google-play-store-android-32-bit-extension-for-delphi-and-c-builder-customers

https://community.idera.com/developer-tools/b/blog/posts/additional-information-for-the-android-32-bit-extension

The bad thing is, our business is mainly Android customers... 😞

Probably your app did something wrong.

I've got 7 extensions recently, and 1 rejection.

But the rejection was because the app was not ready, and the according server was not running.

I just wanted to start the process before 01.08.19, and hope that when I resend another version, complete with working server access

and all license, disclaimer settings etc. I will get a go.
The Google judgement is not only because of 64Bith though.

1 hour ago, Rollo62 said:

Probably your app did something wrong.

I've got 7 extensions recently, and 1 rejection.

But the rejection was because the app was not ready, and the according server was not running.

I just wanted to start the process before 01.08.19, and hope that when I resend another version, complete with working server access

and all license, disclaimer settings etc. I will get a go.
The Google judgement is not only because of 64Bith though.

I do not think so, but if I did, it would be nice to know what else is wrong. Everything is just fine with iOS version (prod + test) and with Android version (on test devices). When Apple Store rejects your app, they clearly stated what is the reason. It seems this isn't the case for Google Play 😞 

1 hour ago, Markus Kinzler said:

Have you contacted the EMBT support?

Hopefully later this month is soon.

image.thumb.png.e31ba43410cd41dc348cbd1b7cb1c273.png

Yes, I have responded on e-mail and contacted EMBA. I'm awaiting the response.

I do not think so, but if I did, it would be nice to know what else is wrong.

Yes, they don't say this in the note.
But in the dashboard, in some info hint.

My app also has no technical issue, it was rejected only because the server is not ready yet (and they wanted to check what I do there).

The app itself is running also w/o the server.

I think you get such special treatment if you do

- In App purchase

- Apple Pay wallet

- App for childs

- Gambiling app

- any other critical stuff

in those areas there are permantently changing the laws.

Just another data point and word of warning to others:

I've tried to publish a bug-fix update to one of my apps (it's been on the Play Store for several years already), and so far I've gotten two emails from Google -- one asking for more information on why I'm not 64-bit compliant (I already told them I'm using RAD Studio which doesn't support 64bits yet, so I'm not sure why they had to ask again), and then today I got another email saying they are reviewing it further -- so it seems like just saying you are using RAD Studio is not enough of a reason. The whole process has taken 2 weeks so far, and in the meantime our users can't get the bug fix.

Initially I tried to publish the bug fix as a beta version and requested an exception for that, but never heard anything back from Google, so apparently they are only looking at exception requests for full production releases, which doesn't really make sense since I'd really like to publish it as a beta first before pushing it out to production. Argh!!!