santiago

Grant lifetime subscription to Andreas Hausladen (IDE Fix Pack creator)

For those of us that depend/rely on IDE Fix Pack.

I have not upgraded to Rio update 2 because IDE Fix Pack is not available for it yet.
This thread mentions a workaround, but it involves disabling a couple of patches.

Anyhow, Russell Weetch (@urbancohort) suggested on Twitter that Andy should be granted a lifetime subscription for Delphi.

It seems he does not have access to the latest releases.

So I went ahead and opened a support case at Embarcadero asking for this:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-24928?filter=-2

So please vote for this issue, if you are a IDE Fix Pack user.

• Like 2

Hi Santiago,

this has been discussed several times in the past. Quite simple: Andreas was not interested in a subscription.

Parts of his code are now licensed by Embarcadero, some of the fixes went into the product.

I also miss Andy's IDE Fixpack. 

For me IDE is super slow... 

Fwiw Andy is still able to download community edition. I guess he is no longer working with Delphi. 

Regards 

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Hi Santiago,

this has been discussed several times in the past. Quite simple: Andreas was not interested in a subscription.

Parts of his code are now licensed by Embarcadero, some of the fixes went into the product.

Thanks Daniel!
It is good to know that some of the fixes already went into the product.

Do you happen to know why why not all of the fixes went into the product?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, santiago said:

Do you happen to know why why not all of the fixes went into the product?

Does anyone actually have a clue on which fixes are left to be implemented?   Where is this list of items needing to be addressed in 10.3.2?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

Does anyone actually have a clue on which fixes are left to be implemented?   Where is this list of items needing to be addressed in 10.3.2?

Hard to tell. Marco said they've implemented the "safest" IDE Fix pack features in the IDE.

1 hour ago, Clément said:

Hard to tell. Marco said they've implemented the "safest" IDE Fix pack features in the IDE.

Exactly - installing the IDE Fix Pack today makes no sense.  

1 hour ago, Darian Miller said:

Exactly - installing the IDE Fix Pack today makes no sense.  

But Andreas Hausladen has his way to find and fix the IDE. Who's to tell how to boost the IDE?
EMB is focused on quality, stability and performance, but they have deadlines and investors to deal with. When an IDE fix is required, EMB would take months to test everything (as it should), but Andreas can do it over a free weekend.
If Andreas has the time (and is willing )to patch  the IDE, let him patch it. And later EMB can implement / fix such features.

The same goes with FastCode project. Today most of that work is integrated. But who's to say there's nothing more to optimize?
( I really miss the ASM newsgroup and their fight over bits, bytes, cycles and benchmarks!)

Anyway, I would vote for Andreas own copy/subscriptions. IDEs from D7 up to Tokyo are still using it! (BTW if someone is not using IDE Fix pack from those older IDEs: You are wasting time... Literally )

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clément said:

Anyway, I would vote for Andreas own copy/subscriptions. IDEs from D7 up to Tokyo are still using it! (BTW if someone is not using IDE Fix pack from those older IDEs: You are wasting time... Literally )

You can certainly vote and buy him a subscription if you think it would help.  Or start a pool and contribute to it.  He can perhaps use the community edition for free if he wants.

It's always been a sparsely documented hodge-podge list of fix attempts that I have refused to use.  Embarcadero now has full source and have stated they will implement what they believe are safe fixes.  That's good enough for me.  

I am using Delphi Rio Update 1.

I rebuilt our App. It consists of 24 packages. A little over 2 Mio. lines of code.

This took 1 minute 38 secs.

I then closed the Delphi IDE and uninstalled the IDE Fix Pack.

Reopened Delphi and rebuilt our App.

Now it took 2 minutes 4 secs.

As far as I can tell it still provides benefits with the Delphi Rio Update 1.

15 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

Точно - установка IDE Fix Pack сегодня не имеет смысла.  

Rad Studio 10.3.2

Configuration: Debug 

Platform:         Win32

Build Project group with 6 128 279 Total Lines. 

Without IDE Fix Pack:  5m 4s

With IDE Fix Pack:       2m 28s

Build With IDE Fix Pack.png

Build Without IDE Fix Pack.png

Edited by Dinar
Added screenshots
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

[OT]

1068 Hints :classic_blink:

1937 Warnings :classic_blink:

How do you see anything ...the most important things. :classic_huh:

[/OT]

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The most important thing for me is the tasks performed by the end of the reporting period and the lack of hints and warnings in my modules.

I now have no opportunity to correct this situation in all projects (consists of 6128279 total lines), when our team consists of more than 30 developers and every day there are fixing dozens of commits to the repository. This should be the basis of the corporate code development culture, but unfortunately we have not yet come to this point.

Edited by Dinar
  • Like 4