Tom F

Disaster planning by archiving GetIt installers

Since I have never used GetIt for anything: Does installing those components that are free (not just demos) and those that you can buy via GetIt (is that actually possible?) also install the source code?

In that case I would not bother backing up the components or any installer files but would move the source code to my own SCM. Whenever an update from GetIt is available, I would then update that SCM. Updating from GetIt would only be done on one particular installation, every other installation would use files from the SCM.

In particular I would expect a company that uses Delphi to have a policy of never directly using GetIt and never use binary only components. Any company that does not have such a policy I consider likely to go belly up in the near future. It has become more likely that a component vendor goes out of business than ever before.

(OTOH, I am not sure whether a company that uses Delphi nowdays isn't doomed anyway. But hey, I am working or one. 😉 )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

Does installing those components that are free (not just demos) and those that you can buy via GetIt (is that actually possible?) also install the source code?

For the mentioned Raize Components I can confirm that. GetIt just places the files in a weird location, but you can do what you describe after that and work with the library as you wish. That is exactly how I update my own Raize Components repository since the acquisition. After some cleanup of the installed design packages and library folders inside the IDE everything is as consistent as before.

Of course I would prefer having a public repo for these components, but it is quite possible to work in a professional way even with GetIt.

BTW, you can't buy via GetIt - at least not yet.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, miab said:

GetIt enforces its own installation logic

If you pause at the License stage then in most cases the setup has been downloaded and or information exists pointing back to the GitHub source of the files.
I was able to install Codesite Express from a previous 10.3.1 install even after GetIt was down.

BTW: For Github sourced stuff I never finish the installation, I don't like source files added to my paths by the default installer when the IDE itself has been shown to choke on all that during Code Insight parsing.. I also don't need a separate copy of Abbrevia for each and every Delphi version.

6 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

That is exactly how I update my own Raize Components repository since the acquisition.

I was watching the getit versions of Raize after the acquisition but the only change in the sources were just updates in the ifdefs for the new compiler version.

Did something change since then?

Also, AFAIR, there were always 2 batch files included for Raize, to compile and/or install the whole lib for x86 and x64.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:38 PM, Attila Kovacs said:

I was watching the getit versions of Raize after the acquisition but the only change in the sources were just updates in the ifdefs for the new compiler version.

Did something change since then?

Also, AFAIR, there were always 2 batch files included for Raize, to compile and/or install the whole lib for x86 and x64.

Now you know why nobody wanted to pay the price Embt was trying to get for these libs, just to ensure they compiled for new releases. I doubt we'll ever see any fundamental changes to Raise Components at this point.

2 hours ago, David Schwartz said:

I doubt we'll ever see any fundamental changes to Raise Components at this point.

Well, I am not very interested in fundamental changes anyway. I would be happy if they are kept on par with the VCL components, especially regarding VCL styles and High DPI support.