Stefan Glienke

Shortcut clashes

I just noticed that the default shortcut for "View->Debug Windows->CPU Windows->Entire CPU" did not work since I installed MMX.

After first missing the key bindings directly in the "Key bindings" node (I only looked in the 2 sub nodes) I found its assigned for "Copy Entity"

Now sure I could just reassign to something else and then when the next shortcut conflict happens I do that again and so on.

Or the plugin itself could actually check if it overrides or conflicts with any other shortcuts (well between 3rd party plugins it would be nice but mostly I hate when plugins override default shortcuts from the IDE - GExperts also does that, grrrr!)

The best solution in this particular case would even be to be contextual (I guess that might be complicated but I thought I just mention it) as during debugging it would make more sense to show the CPU view but when not debugging that does not do anything and when in the editor I might want to copy the entity.

The fact that the shortcut for Debug ... Entire CPU  does not work for me has annoyed me for many years, but never quite enough to investigate it.  But I am not sure that  your analysis is correct.  This shortcut is Control-Alt-C, and that in MMX for Copy Entity is Control-Alt-NumPlus.  I have never customised any of the MMX shortcuts.  The shortcut-owner display in GExperts shows Control-Alt-C as Debug CPU, so I still have no idea what has stolen it; but MMX does not seem to be the culprit here.

Edit:  I see that Control-Alt-C does work to switch focus to the full CPU window, but only if this window is already open. Another extraordinary EMB feature.  If for example I click in the stack window, then this shortcut switches focus to the CPU tab.  But it does nothing if I am in the editor window.

Edited by timfrost

11 minutes ago, timfrost said:

But I am not sure that  your analysis is correct.

For me it was.

As far as I can see GExperts just lists actions with a shortcut - not all shortcuts that you can register via OTA. For example most prominently it does not list Ctrl+#.

If you are using Documentation Insight - that one also assigns Ctrl+Alt+C but is not listed by GExperts.

Edited by Stefan Glienke

15 beta - and shortcut can also have changed years ago. I would expect it to respect those of an already existing installation/config rather than changing them. So the change would only happen for a new install.

I can indeed confirm that MMX registers Ctrl-Alt-C for Copy Entity as the default shortcut, but a quick check revealed that even Delphi 7 had this linked to the CPU window. So I don't know why it was chosen for that action.

That said, it is sometimes pretty hard to find available and reasonable shortcuts. Even if you find one it might be taken by Delphi in the next version - let alone another 3rd party plugin. That is why these shortcuts can be configured.

Nevertheless I will investigate the contextual approach.

• Thanks 1

There is another valuable shortcut (Ctrl-Alt-V) which is used by IDE to open the Event log window, but MMX re-registers it for some action I always have to reconfigure back.

1 hour ago, Alexander Elagin said:

There is another valuable shortcut (Ctrl-Alt-V) which is used by IDE to open the Event log window, but MMX re-registers it for some action I always have to reconfigure back.

According to a comment in code this is most likely done on purpose. So you might be forced to change that after the installation. It should stay that way when you upgrade MMX (besides the fact that settings transfer is not working ion the current beta).

Note: MMX stores shortcuts separate for each IDE version.

33 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

According to a comment in code this is most likely done on purpose. So you might be forced to change that after the installation. It should stay that way when you upgrade MMX (besides the fact that settings transfer is not working ion the current beta).

OK, understood. I think that these shortcuts, Ctrl-Alt-C (copy entity) and Ctrl-Alt-V (paste entity) were initailly selected as logical extensions to common Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, but the IDE has better use for them.

Edited by Alexander Elagin

You can find the default keyboard shortcuts in the corresponding section of the documentation. 

And to search for registered hotkeys by other plugins use Delphi Shortcut Finder. If the desired shortcut was not found in "Known Shortcuts", try searching for it in the "Search Registered Shortcuts" section.

In the "Search Registered Shortcuts" section, you can "Export Known Hotkeys" to a CSV or HTML file, or use the "Keyboard Shortcuts" extension from GExperts to search for conflicting keyboard shortcuts.