Incus J

How best to update from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2?

OK - don't laugh... I’d like to update my Delphi Rio 10.3.1 installation to 10.3.2 - but I’m not sure how.

I’ve had a look on the Help menu, but can’t see a Check For Updates menu item.

I’m aware there is a full ISO image available - I run Delphi in a Virtual Machine, so I could mount that.  However I’m not looking to install from scratch here - I’d just like to update with the latest improvements and fixes, keeping my current environment intact.

Is there a quick straight forward, hassle free way to update an existing installation to 10.3.2?

If you installed 10.3.1 in your VM with the webinstaller, you can simply download the new webinstaller for 10.3.2 and run it.  It will still automatically uninstall the previous version, but if you select to keep the configuration, it will remain configured for 10.3.2.

If you installed 10.3.1 in your VM from the ISO image, I recommend uninstalling it before installing the 10.3.2 from either the new ISO image or the new webinstaller.

Personally, I always use the webinstaller.

/off-topic:

Considering the number of new features in 10.3.2, I am a little miffed that you can't have both 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 installed at the same time.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is related, I asked a similar question before.

In my case its not only about the IDE upgrade, but also about howto port projects best from one to the other version.
I found especially re-creating new projects and resetting them manually with every setting, the best and most reliable way for me to get projects updated.
Since new versions might have new features and settings especially in FMX  (like info.plist, entitlements, version info, etc.), the IDE does not always make the right choice when opening old projects into new IDE.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I used the web installer to install 10.3.1 - so I'll give that a try (backing up the VM first).

Yes, I've found that some projects, especially those originating in older releases (e.g. Delphi 7 or 2010) and then dragged through later releases, start to behave in odd ways.  For example the application version and build number settings don't stick - or when compiling, a different version number is assigned to the build than what is displayed in the project Options dialog.  It trips up source control too.  Perhaps there's an easy way to say 'start a new clean .dpr/.dproj file for this project'?

It would be great if the Delphi Help menu included a Check For Updates item, as a quick foolproof way to update within the same series (e.g. 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 etc.)

• Like 1

Normally, an app in its About dialog has an [Update/Upgrade] button which does everything automatically (maybe with a few option checkboxes). At least, this is standard UI.

Why does the Delphi IDE not have this standard UI?

Who is responsible for the design of the Delphi IDE UI?

Edited by PeterPanettone

6 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Normally, an app in its About dialog has an [Update/Upgrade] button which does everything automatically (maybe with a few option checkboxes). At least, this is standard UI.

Why does the Delphi IDE not have this standard UI? 

Who is responsible for the design of the Delphi IDE UI?

The answers to your questions would be 'ask Embarcadero', and 'Embarcadero'.  It is really pointless to ask such questions here.  I have advocated for an in-place upgrade mechanism for a long time now.  The response I received from Marco IIRC, is that it was under consideration but was a very complex issue to address because the product is so big and involves third party components.  There are lots of similar products that have AutoUpdate functionality so I don't think this is an insurmountable problem, but EMBT has other more important issues to deal with such as keeping the frameworks and compiler tool chains up to date with an accelerating pace of change on all the supported platforms.  They didn't have time to bring FMX to Linux, so they acquired it from KSDev. As with any 25+ year old product, there is also technical debt to address.

1 hour ago, Larry Hengen said:

a very complex issue to address because the product is so big

A 12-year-old developer could do this in a few days. It is very simple: Do all the things programmatically the user does manually. I really don't see why this should be difficult.

• Like 1

Well that's one of the drawbacks, when you switch from boring old monolithic to DLL/BPL/.net hell  (preferebly a mix of all three, just to make sure). And no, @PeterPanettone I do not think a 12 year old developer should be confronted with this madness, it would scar the poor child for life.

• Haha 2

The problem of automating is not to do programmatically some actions a user does manually but to deal with 10000000 possible issues that could happen during the process. Otherwise we could get a black box, something like Windows Update: "Cannot update - error happened!" and let the shaman dances begin

Updating a single application even if complex is not a hard task, almost every other major IDE out there can do it.

Only Delphi developers have to manually apply hotfixes by unzipping some archive and unblock the contained binaries...

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I have downloaded: delphicbuilder10_3_2_496593b.iso

• There is no information which of the newest patches and hotfixes I have to download and install after having installed delphicbuilder10_3_2_496593b.iso.

• And why should I even bother to go to a website and search for the correct download link to download the ISO? A button in the (hypothetical) Delphi AutoUpdater should do that automatically for me. Every 12-year-old developer could create such a button and write the code to download the correct ISO or the WebInstaller accordingly.

Edited by PeterPanettone

On 9/30/2019 at 7:17 PM, PeterPanettone said:

• There is no information which of the newest patches and hotfixes I have to download and install after having installed delphicbuilder10_3_2_496593b.iso.

Information about patches and hotfixes can be found in this article: RAD Studio, Delphi and C++Builder 10.3.2: List of Patches

On 9/30/2019 at 6:17 PM, PeterPanettone said:

• And why should I even bother to go to a website and search for the correct download link to download the ISO? A button in the (hypothetical) Delphi AutoUpdater should do that automatically for me. Every 12-year-old developer could create such a button and write the code to download the correct ISO or the WebInstaller accordingly.

Totally agree with you.

• Like 2