A.M. Hoornweg

64-bit type libraries still not supported by the IDE ?

Hello all,

Delphi supports 64-bit development since XE2.  But somehow it is still not possible to list and import 64-bit type libraries ????

Kind regards,

Arthur

• Like 1

The reason one pays for a subscription is for the product to be up to date. 64 bit support was hailed 7 years ago so I guess it's not unreasonable to expect it to work by now.

• Sad 1

You can locate the library and run the typelib importer on it using the command line tool. The format is the same for 32 and 64 bit. The issue is just that a 32 bit process doesn't see the 64 bit registry. But once you pass the 64 bit com dll to the type lib importer it will be fine. Often you just import the 32 bit version of the COM dll and the same import unit works for both. 

Hi David,

I'm aware of these workarounds, thanks.

But I'm also aware that a 32 bit process  *can* actually see the 64 bit registry, see  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog64/accessing-an-alternate-registry-view . 

And if that weren't the case, the problem could also be solved by putting the tlb importer GUI in a separate process, to be compiled in two versions.

It would just be really nice if this feature worked like it's supposed to. 

• Like 1

Posting here is not going to have any impact on development of the Delphi IDE by Embarcadero. You would need to submit a QP report, although I guess at least one already exists. 

I assumed that your post was driven by a desire to get something done. Which can only be to import some actual type libraries. Hence my comments. 

On 8/16/2019 at 6:00 PM, David Heffernan said:

You can locate the library and run the typelib importer on it using the command line tool.

You should even be able to just add the library using the Add button of the import wizard.