Sign in to follow this  
RussellW

Spring4d and Rio

I've just tried installing Spring4D using my clone from the repo and it doesn't give me teh option to install it for Rio. I'm sure I had it installed for the first Rio version. Can anyone confirm whether a later version is available? Thanks

It is in the master since sept 03 2018.
Maybe you should update your clone?

This is like asking "I made a printout of that document last year why didn't it update when some people changed the pdf" 😉

A git clone does not update itself - think of it as snapshot - you as the clone owner are responsible to keep it up to date.

I think there is no point in making a clone(*) anyway unless:

- you are afraid of the repo owner just deleting it (and even then the nature of git would allow everyone who has a local clone just to push it back to a new home)

- you want to maintain your own modifications (either for keeping them for yourself or contributing back)

(*) sorry, when I wrote clone I actually meant fork - I was assuming that you always keep a local clone up to date or at least fetch it regularly (most git ui tools do that automatically anyway) to see whats new on the origin

Edited by Stefan Glienke

Yes I could have phrased the question better. I had updated my clone, I do this on a regular basis. I did an update just before I tried the install, where no 10.3 option was displayed. in the end I deleted my clone and created a new one and that worked.

@Administrator - there was a brilliant write-up that reduced the learning curve moving from either nothing or SVN. I have seen many explanations of the clone/fork/local/central hmmm... thingy. IMHO put that write-up (i cannot find it now) up as "sticky" or something???

Is classic Open package > Build > Install way already obsolete?

Just curious - what so specific in install process that it requires special installer? Btw, there's an effort to make a package manager for Delphi called Delphinus. I haven't tried it yet but it looks promising.

There is an (outdated) copy of Spring4D on Github, just for Delphinius:

https://github.com/Spring4D/Spring4D

14 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

what so specific in install process that it requires special installer?

I also asked myself that. Not going to complain - Just double-clicky and you're done. But I also wondered if there was another reason beside comfort.

1 hour ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Is classic Open package > Build > Install way already obsolete?

No, but then you still have to add the library paths (as I always recommend instead of recompiling the third party sources every time with your application) - if that would be part of the IDE compile/build now that would be great!

52 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

There is an (outdated) copy of Spring4D on Github, just for Delphinius:

It is not outdated it is just there for Delphinus - as you can see it has the latest release (1.2.2) - since Delphinus supports External Timelines the github repo just has the files for Delphinus, the sources are then taken from bitbucket.

52 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

But I also wondered if there was another reason beside comfort.

Compiling for all supported Delphi versions is just one click instead of opening in each IDE and compiling for half a dozen platforms (this mostly applies to me when I need to make sure that none of the dozen compilers chokes on some code).

Edited by Stefan Glienke