Incus J

How to save or customise IDE Layout (Desktops) in Rio?

In XE4 I can save and load IDE layouts using a field on the main toolbar.

In Delphi Rio the main toolbar doesn't have these IDE layout controls, and I haven't located an equivalent on the view menu.

- Whenever I start Rio, it defaults to a layout with very narrow Structure/Inspector panes about 100 pixels wide.  I drag to widen the panes to a useful size, but my adjustments are forgotten when I next start Rio.

- In Delphi Options, Save desktop layout is ticked, but this setting seems to be ignored by the IDE.

- I can see options for selecting Default, Startup and Debug layouts, but I don't currently understand what to do with them.  Can I add my own layouts to the list somehow?  What is the difference between Startup and Default?  What does a layout set to 'None' mean?

Basically, how can I customise the IDE layout in Rio?  I'm using a 13" laptop, so need to customise carefully to be efficient/productive with the limited screen space available.

Edited by Incus J

There is a not obvious button to the left of the desktop selection dropdown in the title bar, which shows a menu:

SaveDesktop.thumb.png.e85673a2c8facdbdc87fc85815c96991.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

There is a not obvious button to the left of the desktop selection dropdown in the title bar, which shows a menu:

Not obvious, to be sure. I am still cursing the new approach, which seems a good deal more complicated than necessary.

Thanks for the info.  I think there might be something wrong with my setup.  There are no controls or fields displayed in the title bar on my system, except the usual minimise, maximise and close icons on the right hand side.  Is it an option I need to enable somewhere?

10 minutes ago, Incus J said:

Thanks for the info.  I think there might be something wrong with my setup.  There are no controls or fields displayed in the title bar on my system, except the usual minimise, maximise and close icons on the right hand side.  Is it an option I need to enable somewhere?

No, but you won't see them if you have disabled themes (which is no longer supported but can still be done using the registry).

Edited by dummzeuch

The Delphi Rio UI has the new appearance skin - so I think themes is enabled (I haven't disabled themes that I know of).  I'm running Windows 10.

OK progress - If I toggle the Maximise button those Desktop Layout controls appear ... but they appear overlapping the form designer, not in the title bar:

rio-layout.png

Edited by Incus J

15 hours ago, Incus J said:

If I toggle the Maximise button those Desktop Layout controls appear ... but they appear overlapping the form designer, not in the title bar:

rio-layout.png

File a bug report, giving them as much info of your OS and graphics hardware setup as possible. And don't forget to include screenshots like the one above and also one which does not show these controls at all.

• Like 1