David Schwartz

installing support for Android and Linux platforms

Where do I find info on enabling 10.2.x and 10.3.x to support Android and Linux?

I went through and upgraded one VM from 10.2.2 --> 10.2.3 and it ended saying to expect a separate Android SDK installer, but nothing came up after I clicked Finish. And I saw no mention of Linux anywhere.

Similar thing happened upgrading 10.3.1 --> 10.3.2.

All I've found on EMBTs site is how to select a platform in the IDE. They have to be installed first before you can select them; that's what I'm looking for.

Edited by David Schwartz

If you installed via ISO, you need to uninstall, then re-install selecting all desired platforms. If you installed via ESD, you'll have an option from the Delphi menu in Tools|Manage Platforms

I did install via ISO, and I never saw an option to select or deselect platforms. There's a tree-view kind of display that shows things like Intraweb, FastReport, code examples, etc., but nothing was grayed-out, so I assumed it was installing everything.

What did I miss?

Anyway, I already had to uninstall and re-install, and it took nearly 90 minutes just to un-install! Why can't it just snip off entire folders, then go back and see what's left and adjust its DB accordingly? This has to be one of the least efficient processes I can possibly imagine doing.

Edited by David Schwartz

Well, I finally got around to flushing out Delphi 3.2.3 installed via ISO and all the component libs from a copy of the VM so I can run the ESD installer.

It installed the base stuff, the gave me a menu of options. I selected a lot of stuff, then it stopped:

Operation Error

A problem occurred during the process

For those who cannot "read between the lines" of that super-informative error message, you have to hit the Retry button to see what the problem is.

Seems it couldn't download the JDK. (Is the JDK even required to build Android apps? It's an option, but it would be nice if the UI informed users if it's actually required or not.)

The only options this dialog offers are "Retry" and "Cancel".

Retry gets the same results over and over, and Cancel ... well, it just aborts the whole installation process and launches Delphi.  WTF?  

So now to continue (or install anything else you forgot the first time around), it UNINSTALLS everything, then REINSTALLS the base files, then presents the same options.

This time I don't ask for Android support, and restart the process.

About 30 seconds in, it stopped:

Operation Error

A problem occurred during the process

Hitting Retry a few times show it's unable to download DirectX.

Ok, so HOW THE HELL DO YOU INSTALL EVERYTHING WHEN IT STOPS DEAD IN ITS TRACKS WHEN IT CAN'T DL A FILE AND THEN REQUIRES A FULL UNINSTALL/REINSTALL TO CONTINUE???

All of the files are on the ISO volume, but the ESD installer fails because it can't download files.

Sheesh....

Edited by David Schwartz

Ok, I switched to the ISO installer again, and I notice that both Android and Linux are ENABLED by default, along with iOS and MacOS options.

They weren't installed last time I ran the installer, let's see if they get installed this time.

Edited by David Schwartz