Hans♫

Delphi 10.3.2 with Xcode 11 and iOS 13?

It turns out deploying and running works, debugging does not... (I am just relaying information I have gathered in the meantime, I still haven't tried myself)

Did not try on iPhone yet, but the Mac deployment works without problems.

• Like 2

Ok, thank you both. I just started the upgrade to Xcode 11, so I might have more news in 1-2 hours 🙂

• Like 2

I can confirm what is said previously: I can deploy my app to an iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13 through Xcode 11, and the app runs fine.

However, I cannot run it from Delphi ("Run" or "Run without debugging"). They both deploy the app to the device, but then shows the message "Can't start debugserver on device - device support image was not mounted". After that, I can just run the app manually on the device, but without debugging. Not a big problem as debugging usually fails anyway, so running in debugmode is already the very last option for me.

You might have to open Xcode.

Go to Windows > Devices & Simulators.

Then unlock and connect your device. 
It will do its magics and after a while. after the little wheel stops spinning, you should try again.
Is it better this way?

Have you really been able to debug on an iDevice running anything above iOS10?

@sjordi Yes, I know about this. It is standard procedure to open the Xcode devices with every new device, so it can be prepared for debugging.

@Sherlock Yes, I can debug on iOS 12, both before and after upgrading to XCode 11 - so the problem is with either iOS 13 or iPhone 11 Pro.

I don't have anymore time to spend on this right now, there are endless combinations of things to try and test. But I hope someone else will investigate this further.

Application Loader does not seem to exist anymore. Apple announced this a while back. Unfortunately not seen any response from Embarcadero.

That means that we won't be able to publish any app to Apple's app stores anymore until Embarcadero solved this.

If you need to publish to the App Store then DO NOT UPDATE!

2 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Yes, 
Just tried on an "old" iPhone 6S under iOS 12.4.1
Xcode 10.3

RADStudio Rio 10.2.3

iOS SDK in RADStudio: iPhoneOS 12.2 and 12.4 as well. 

Here are screenshots of the breakpoint in RADStudio and the "frozen" splash screen of the app at launch, just waiting for me to continue into the code.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 18.52.40.png

IMG_2055.PNG

3 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Yes. I think latest one I tried was iOS 12.3, but also tried all versions from iOS 10.

Usually the fastest way to prepare device for debugging is to create blank application in Xcode and run it through its debugger. Xcode will take care of everything. 

If you also give that application same bundle ID as the real one you are making, Xcode will take care of provisioning profiles and all the certificate stuff. Once you have them, you will have Delphi iOS app up and running (debugging) in no time.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:42 PM, futuron said:

Application Loader does not seem to exist anymore. Apple announced this a while back. Unfortunately not seen any response from Embarcadero.

That means that we won't be able to publish any app to Apple's app stores anymore until Embarcadero solved this.

If you need to publish to the App Store then DO NOT UPDATE!

I had the exact same problem, but I solved it installing a old version of the Application loader. It give some warning but work fine, I was able to submit my app to the Apple Store.

Just an update on my experience: I can debug with XCode 11 on iOS versions older than iOS 13.

It is devices with iOS 13 that causes the problem, not XCode 11.

12 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

Nice, thanks for the link.
Is'nt this as well deprecated together with ApplicationLoader ?

@Jose Morango

Since ApplicationLoader is only an app, maybe its possible to extract this from the old package before updating to XCode 11.
Probably this only uses such the commandline tools.

So then this could work for a while, until Embarcadero solved the topic, and there would be no need to install the whole XCode10 package.
Have you checked if this might be working and what dependencies you need for ApplicationLoader  ?

Edited by Rollo62

Here is temporary work-around:

Download an old version of Xcode and installed it next to my new Xcode version. I renamed the new Xcode app into "XcodeNEW".

That solves the problem and I've been able to upload since then with out any problems.

It's a band-aid that works for now.

Howto:

* sign-into your developer account at Apple: https://developer.apple.com/membercenter/index.action

* look for "Downloads" on the left (below additional resources)

* at the very top, just below the page's banner, below the search-icon, click "More"

* on the left, deselect everything but "developer tools"

* scroll down into the list and find Xcode 10.3

* click on the "+" before Xcode 10.3 and click the zip file. Download the file.

* rename your current Xcode into XcodeNEW

* unpack and install the downloaded zip file.

I've just tried my proposal on a Mojave VM, which I updated to Catalina.

1. With old Mojave Mac: Copy and backup ApplicationLoader from the OLD installed XCode package.

Right click at XCode and select Show package content
image.thumb.png.bce86b76ae276878ac37fbe59758962a.png

2. Get he AplicationLoader app from here

image.thumb.png.54e855060c0ef64d09cd66eef6cea4c1.png

3. Application loader is an self-containing app

image.png.fbddcce9a84bf18b48049ec29caedd20.png

4. Compress the app to ZIP file (this I needed to do, because I had issues to copy the .app onto my server)

(Maybe this is again some strange security issue of big A)

5. I could copy the ApplicationLoader locally w/o problems, e.g. to the Macos desktop.

image.png.bb28e19ea93e4fad48b29d29f8cd997a.png

6. Upgrade Mojave and install Catalina

(I removed and cleaned up XCode completely, except my copy of ApplicationLoader of coarse),.

7. Now I have Catalina, and I can start ApplicationLoader from old XCode.

All seems to work nice and smooth, I didn't made a real upload yet, but I uploaded an old app and
got the usual messages, after checking with iTunesConnect.
Seems to work fine, probably still OK for a while ( Catalinas lifetime ??).

image.thumb.png.467bb3ad465c7fdd5cc793e57bb188e1.png

Edited by Rollo62
  • Thanks 2

Again Apple made my day 🤬

Running perfectly with XCode 11.2, until suddenlyI see this message:

image.thumb.png.ea1af4f250276b343417e210e6141292.png

As far as I know XCode 11.2 is NO beta version, I already made uploads to AppStore a few times.

Was deprecated for some reasons (I really don't want to know).

Now it forces me to install XCode 11.2.1 (which I cannot find in the store, by the way).

Which I can find here

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode_release_notes/xcode_11_2_1_gm_seed_release_notes/

https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/05/apple-xcode-critical-update/

Everybody who still believes that Apple has the better software lives on another parallel planet.

It looks as this 11.2.1 could be a beta version, and I still cannot upload anything.
Shall I spend another half a day to find that out ?

Apple really putting me in serious trouble, since I cannot meet my schedules by this beta bug desaster in the last weeks.
Maybe somebody has some recommendations, or at least the right place where to download XCode 11.2.1.

Update:

This was the right answer, where to find it.  By searching the member download area I can't see it.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/374515/why-is-xcode-11-2-1-not-appearing-in-the-app-store-updates-tab

Xcode 11.2.1 GM seed is available at https://developer.apple.com/download/ after sign in.

I just started (and stopped) the download.

Still the question what to do, Shall I update and can I install apps again ?

Edited by Rollo62

Alt least I can confirm the process so far:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43663097/how-to-install-xcode-from-xip-file

1. Download the XCode.xip file from https://developer.apple.com/download/ after sign in.

2. Double-click the XCode.xip file to unpack it

3. After unpacking you see the XCode.app, which can be simple copied abd overwrite the existing old app under Applications

So far XCode 11.2.1 start and shows up normally, lets see what happens next.

4. XCode opened looks normal, all is there.

.xip file seems to be a kind of patch, not a real installation, the additional tools were not downloaded automaticall.

5. Connection phone showed yelloe prepare header very fast, seems no new DebugImage was loaded

6. RadStudio SDK Manager shows option to add SDK 13.2.

I decided to keep the old SDK 13.2 and update local file cache

7. Build project and debug, OK (needs more testing, but complex app works normally)

8. Build release works normally

9. Upload to AppStore: not OK

Here comes the catch, it came back with same error message as above (wrong commandline tools, wrong SDK).

10. So I need to know how to probably re-load commandline tools in XCode.

And I have to check what happens if I add a second 13.2 SDK entry in SD_K Manager (where I have a bad feeling in my tummy).
      Or if there is anything else which could update the SDK.

Maybe tomorrow I got more insights, for today I lost enough hours, and will go to sleep.
If all doesn't work, I will try a complete, clean re-install of the XCode.xip file, which will cost another hour, but who cares (Apple does not, for sure ...)

Edited by Rollo62

The new method to upload apps to App Store, is the new app "Transporter". I have used it successfully to upload an iOS app to App Store.

Just download it from Mac App Store, it works the same way as Application Loader.

4 hours ago, Hans♫ said:

The new method to upload apps to App Store, is the new app "Transporter". I have used it successfully to upload an iOS app to App Store.

Just download it from Mac App Store, it works the same way as Application Loader.

Ok, the problem was not the upload to the AppStore, that always worked.
But I got the message that wron SDK or other stuff was used for compiling.
It seems that I have downloaded XCode 13.2.1 GM Seed, from XIP file, but that didn'T really update the SDKs, which may cause such issue.
I soon will check further whats going on.

Update:

Ok, now the XCode 11.2.1 seems to be officially in the AppStore, and I just try to install it.
No more fancy XCode 11.2.1 GM Seek stuff, which was the only way yesterday.  What a bu....hit ...

Edited by Rollo62

Sorry that I did not make my self clear. I was commenting on your post about how to get Application Loader.