David Schwartz

How to get Linux installed?

I've tried everything to install Linux support into 10.2.3.  It's just not there.

Someone in another thread I posted said to use the ESD installer. Well, it runs for about 5 minutes and seems to leave out a TON of stuff no matter what I check.

The ISO runs for 45 minutes, and even though it shows the same thing that the ESD installer shows for customizing the install, it never installs Linux support.

There's no way the ESD installer is pulling all the same files down over the internet as the ISO has sitting right in memory in a fraction of the time. 

I don't understand why there's a difference between what the ISO installs and what the ESD installs, but when all the installation files are sitting right there in memory when attached to the ISO, it makes no sense to download all the stuff from the internet or that the ISO is incapable of installing part of the system.

I'm removing Delphi 10.2 entirely from my machine and flushing the registry entries.

Now, is it possible to install from the ISO -- FROM SCRATCH -- and get the Linux stuff installed? If so, how?

If not, how can I get everything to install from the ESD including the Linux support?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but this disparity between installers is driving me nuts.

Do you have Enterprise or Architect? It isn't in Pro or Community.

For FMXLinux you have to install that off of GetIt.

It is truly tragic that Linux is not available for the Pro SKU.

It should even have been in the Community version IMO.

Imagine the potential plethora of code coming from open source projects.

• Like 2

Enterprise Edition Delphi 10.2.3 installer from ISO

It even installed the Android platform this time, although I'm not sure it ran the external setups for the SDK.

It's running on Windows 7 SP1 (V6.1, Build 7601, 64-bit Edition)

2019-10-29_02-19-00.thumb.png.547bed9f2d6b7d310d36a79284653803.png        2019-10-29_03-51-32.png.ce9a6cca708df795e0f6e2da8c45ca01.png  

Did you install FMXLinux from GetIt?  If not you have to install it first, then right-click on the project (Project1.exe) to get 'Add Linux Platform'

image.png.69c85b5aae1fddccf89a49c443f1df86.png

FMXLinux does not show up in my GetIt list.

But IIRC it wasn't added until 10.3.2  This is 10.2.3.

I thought it's possible to target Linux for either VCL or FMX because there's no UI support offered for it. It's for services only.

TMSSoftware's Business Suite supports it, for instance.

However, I do see 64-bit Linux as an option in the Tools | Options | Library pane. 

2019-10-29_04-13-25.thumb.png.e97c3ad8bc890b79a7d67d550572539c.png

Edited by David Schwartz

This is the problem I keep running into:

2019-10-29_04-34-54.thumb.png.4e412f4f8f8cda0aedbe027c6f017751.png

I *NEED* to be able to build for LINUX targets!

I get the same thing for Android, b/c the installer never ran the two SDK installers when it finished with the main install.

Do you have the PAServer (Platform Assistant) installed on a Linux machine you have access to? The Linux SDK is not included, you have to make a connection to a linux machine via the Options -> Deployment -> Connection Profile Manager or SDK Manager so that the correct includes can be pulled from the linux machine.  Use Ubuntu to start with, it is the simplest to get going, here is a video on how to set this up.

image.thumb.png.3a0d72fa186b3c9dfa7bef8e0c1e4a88.png

• Thanks 1

I'm running Delphi inside of VirtualBox hosted on a Mac. You're saying that PAServer needs to be running in order for Delphi to do anything Linux-related? 

Where's any of this documented? I haven't seen anything about it other than how to RUN stuff through PAServer.

Edited by David Schwartz

11 hours ago, David Schwartz said:

PAServer needs to be running in order for Delphi to do anything Linux-related?

Yes, PAServer is needed to pull the necessary tools and libs from the target Linux machine. After this stage it is needed for deployment/debugging (but the Linux debugging in Delphi is a joke, simple WriteLn's in code can do better...)

The best documentation I've seen so far is here: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/Linux_Application_Development

and here: https://chapmanworld.com/2016/12/29/configure-delphi-and-redhat-or-ubuntu-for-linux-development/

• Like 3

I just managed to get 'hello' on Linux 🙂

First time Linux user! so it was a bit intimidating, but with help of Marco's video

and google I managed to get it working. First time using the famous sudo command 🙂

• Thanks 1