Ian Branch

PopMenu two levels down..

Hi Team,
    An interesting observation..
    D10.3.2.  Win 10.
    Main Form with a MainMenu.
    If I call Form 1 from the MainMenu top line option, lets call it 'Form 1', using "TForm1.Create(nil).ShowModal;",
    and then from Form 1, call Form 2 with a TButton using "TForm2.Create(nil).ShowModal;",
    and then try to have a PopMenu appear in Form 2, it doesn't/won't.
    If, however, I repeat the above but make the initial call from a MainMenu sub-menu, Form 1|Form 1', then the Popup menu works in Form 2.

This is repeatable.
    Is this normal or a bug?

Regards,
Ian

10 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

This is repeatable.

This means you have tested with other versions too, and it's only happens in 10.3.2?

Hi Attila,

That's one interpretation. 

Or, it could mean that it is the only environment I am working in and have experienced the problem and that I can make the issue happen at will in my working environment. ;-)

Ian

Is this VCL or FMX? Which target platform? Can you provide a minimal example showing that?

• Like 1

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

For 3 days I wrestled with the issue, narrowing it down to the Main Menu configuration.

It was repeatable.  From the Main menu line call it didn't work.  From a sub menu call, it worked.  Every time......

Hence this thread.

I just went to create a small test app to demonstrate it.  Couldn't make it fail.  Huh?

Scrapped it and started again.  Nope.  Didn't fail.

Hmm.   Goes back to the original app that I had the issue in......You guessed it, it now works, either way.??????

Apologies to any and all for any stress.

I'm going to go and have a Scotch and ponder the meaning of life....More like to get the answer to that than to this.....

Regards & tks for your support,

Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Branch said:

I'm going to go and have a Scotch and ponder the meaning of life....More like to get the answer to that than to this.....

I'm sure we all feel with you. Everybody has been there at some time.

So enjoy your Scotch. 😉

It is always good to discuss an issue with your peers...if only to see it vanish into thin air.

I often get the impression that our computers already established some form of artificial intelligence, but for some unknown reason it usually turns out to be a mean one.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

Hi Team,
    An interesting observation..
    D10.3.2.  Win 10.
    Main Form with a MainMenu.
    If I call Form 1 from the MainMenu top line option, lets call it 'Form 1', using "TForm1.Create(nil).ShowModal;",
    and then from Form 1, call Form 2 with a TButton using "TForm2.Create(nil).ShowModal;",
    and then try to have a PopMenu appear in Form 2, it doesn't/won't.
    If, however, I repeat the above but make the initial call from a MainMenu sub-menu, Form 1|Form 1', then the Popup menu works in Form 2.

This is repeatable.
    Is this normal or a bug?

Regards,
Ian

Did you remember to set the PopupMode property of your modal forms to pmAuto? What you describe sounds like a Z-order problem. But I see from the newer messages that the problem spontaneously resolved itself. It always makes me nervous when that happens in my projects...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

I often get the impression that our computers already established some form of artificial intelligence, but for some unknown reason it usually turns out to be a mean one.

"Diesmal funktioniert alles"

The last line from "Computer sind doof" by Spliff

I don't think there is an English translation of the lyrics or sub titles for this song, sorry.

It basically tells about lots of things going wrong when using computers (actually embedded microprocessors, what nowadays would part of the "Internet of things"). Mostly just annoyances.

The last part then describes a sequence of computer failure events that leads to the death of Leonid Breschnew and him causing a nuclear war. The last sentence then is "This time everything works."

Edited by dummzeuch