mawg

How to use Open Street Maps with Delphi - cross platform?

I have been away from Delphi for a few years now. During that time, I have been coding browser apps in JavaScript using Leaflet to show Open Street Maps.

I have a new cross platform app to develop, using either Google's Flutter or Delphi, and would prefer Delphi.

How to go about it? Is there a VCL component (or do I need FMX? I didn't do any cross-platform until now)? Or should I just use a TWebBrowser component? Would that be truly cross platform on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android & iOS? I see no reason why not, but would prefer to double check before starting.

15 hours ago, limelect said:

@mawg I did try a wile ago open street map it was too slaw.

I did not like the result.

I think the only good way is google map.

There are a few VCL components .

just Google.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmlibrary/

You may need a license to use Google Maps, while Open Street Map is free, you can even host your own map server.

Also, I would rather trust in OSM than Google that they keep their service available and the APIs mostly unchanged.

(Just remember why this forum exists. G+ anybody?)

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 4

On 10/30/2019 at 12:28 PM, Rollo62 said:

CrossPlatform = FMX

TMS OSMaps

A great suggestion. I used to subscribe to the full VCL pack, so know their stuff is good and support is excellent. Well worth Eur 95, I imagine

On 10/31/2019 at 9:07 AM, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

I made open-source Delphi VCL / Lazarus LCL component here. Currently not much features but usable

It's really handy component just what I need, but it would be really  great if you could add function for drawing a line from one to another coordinate. I tried to do this, spent a couple of hours but I'm new in Delphi and it is just to complicated for me :).

On 6/24/2020 at 10:57 AM, Danxy said:

It's really handy component just what I need, but it would be really  great if you could add function for drawing a line from one to another coordinate. I tried to do this, spent a couple of hours but I'm new in Delphi and it is just to complicated for me :).

Thanks! Plz could you fill an issue at Github so that it won't be forgotten.

Meanwhile you could refer to OSM.MapControl.pas TMapControl.DrawMapMark for ideas of how to draw and try OnDrawMapMark callback to do what you need.