John Kouraklis

Deal - breaker: Registration Limit Increase

Yesterday I reinstalled Delphi in a fresh machine and upon registration I got the error of maximum registrations.

I emailed EMBA and today they replied that increasing the limit for my license is part of technical support and as I am not under active subscription they are not very keen on helping me with this issue.

They also mention that " Historically, we provided limited support for activities such as changing registration limits as a courtesy. Going forward registration limit changes will have to be approved by Renewals. We are working to provide a more automated way to facilitate this service in the future or eliminate the need for it altogether.

I have copied the renewals team in this email response (renewals@idera.com). Your renewals representative will be able to assist you with options to renew your support and maintenance, as well as facilitate the necessary registration increases."

I don't know guys what you think but for me this is outrageous. Actually it is a deal breaker.

I am not asking to receive new updates---just to use the license I paid on a new machine.

• Sad 1

This is odd, because what you explain does not match the process that was discussed internally in the company. You should be able to contact your sales contact or partners and ask for an increase of the registration limits. The main difference from the past is this is not automatic, but requires talking with sales (we know, not always what developers love doing). We have given some automatic bumps in registration increases, others are generally provide by sales -- that is unless the numbers become suspiciously high. Feel free to email be directly, if this proves to be an issue -- I mean getting in touch with sales/reseller.

• Thanks 1

There was a big discussion about this a while ago.

After a lot of messing about it seems that registration bumps are now done by sales. The rather unclear message seemed to be that sales would try to sell you something but you would get your bump for free if you choose not to buy anything.

Although, despite multiple people asking Atanas Popov for clarification, there wasn't anything clear forthcoming.

Another major mis-step by Emba.

Let us know how you get on with sales.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Marco Cantu said:

we know, not always what developers love doing

You got that 100% right at least 🙂

I will dearly hold on to all my VMs with regged installations.

39 minutes ago, Dany Marmur said:

You that 100% right at least 🙂

I will dearly hold on to all my VMs with regged installations.

I have delphi in a VM and then I had this idea to cleanup and compact the image because it was eating 500GB. I had also to copy it to another drive cause my main HD was running out of space

Then, when I launched Delphi it was asking to register

17 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

I have delphi in a VM and then I had this idea to cleanup and compact the image because it was eating 500GB. I had also to copy it to another drive cause my main HD was running out of space

Then, when I launched Delphi it was asking to register

That sounds odd to me. Traditionally windows did a hardware compare on some key-stuff and you had to re-register. Never experienced that with the IDE. I change number of cores and screens and memory a lot and have not had that problem. Also a lot of times my VMs start without network and the IDE do nt complain (except for the start page, but that's ok of course). Odd.

AFAIK is the IDE license bound to the machine name only. I often move Delphi VMs to other drives without any problems. There must have happened something inside the VM to trigger this.

1 minute ago, Uwe Raabe said:

AFAIK is the IDE license bound to the machine name only.

No, it used to be like that (Delphi 2007), but embarcadero changed this a while ago.

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

AFAIK is the IDE license bound to the machine name only. I often move Delphi VMs to other drives without any problems. There must have happened something inside the VM to trigger this.

I have many copies of VM, if I understand your issue right, mainly for backup and "snapshots" for updates etc.

No problem to start a newly copied VM, or to install into older, clean VM, just tell VmWare "I have moved it" and it should be fine.

! But you should avoid to have multiple VM running at the same time.

Yeah, I found the behaviour odd myself too as in the past I have copied VMs several times, changed the hardware settings etc and never had Delphi lost the license details.

Anyone knows if Delphi licensing considers the hard drive serial or something connected to the hard drive?

10 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

! But you should avoid to have multiple VM running at the same time.

Why? Issues with Delphi? Does Delphi detect multiple VMs running and gives problems with registration?

Edited by Mike Torrettinni

Aha, I see. I thought he meant that Delphi could detect Delphi running in other VMs and it could affect (prevent?) registration... that would be pretty interesting.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:14 PM, Mike Torrettinni said:

I thought he meant that Delphi could detect Delphi running in other VMs and it could affect (prevent?) registration... that would be pretty interesting.

My VMs are connected to network and 10.1 does complain if 10.2 or 10.3 are started in an other WM. Probably because every WM does have an other IP (VMware stuff).
"Duplicate License Key found. The same license key is used on 192.168.136.152. Please install a separate license"

But starts and works.

But 10.2 and 10.3 doesn't say anything.

Edited by Cristian Peța
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

Ok, so today I received an email from the reseller and EMBA has bumped the license

Assuming this happened on Monday when you reported and not on the weekend it only took a work week 🙂

• Sad 1

@FredS Yes it took a week but to be fair the sales representative for the reseller I got the license moved role internally so let's say there was a delay irrelevent to EMBA.

But in general it took 2-3 days to be sorted

• Sad 1

I think I said it before: Convert your license to a network named user license and use the elc and this will never happen again.

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2018/07/14/some-information-about-embarcadero-licence-center/

Of course there can be other problems, e.g. with the elc itself then. But at least it will reduce the probability of you not having a working Delphi installation for several days because you changed something on your Windows computer or VM.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Kouraklis said:

irrelevent to EMBA

OK, but NOT irrelevant to the Legal License Holder..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dummzeuch said:

Convert your license to a network named user license

I'm going to assume there are no Docker images nor light weight installs (for a Router) of this?

This does seem to be an important change to consider, unless one believes in a flawless self updating registration system being right around the corner..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FredS said:

I'm going to assume there are no Docker images nor light weight installs (for a Router) of this?

We are running this server as a virtual machine on an already existing XenServer. The vm runs a minimal Ubuntu Server and doesn't need much RAM or CPU.

No idea whether it might run on a router, but I doubt it. But you can of course run it in a small VM on your development computer. Also, it can be configured to allow up to 30 days (the default is much lower IIRC) of using the license without contacting the elc, so you only have to remember to start that vm once in a while.