Sign in to follow this  
John Kouraklis

Triggers from Bluetooth Beacons

Hi,

I've got a beacon that has a button to trigger actions. I can configure the actions. For example, I when the user pushed the button the beacon advertises a URL.

In Delphi, I can identify the beacon and I can read all the device info.

What I can not figure out is how to identify that the user has triggered the button and thus the URL has been transmitted.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Ok, I have managed to get the URL when the button is pressed but now I have another problem.

My app responds to the trigger and actually finds the beacon only once. After it detects the trigger the first time, it is unable to redetect the beacon and the trigger.

I use TBeacon

Anyone any ideas?

I guess you have read http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/Using_Beacons#Scanning_for_Beacons John?

I've not used beacons myself, but I suspect we will evaluate them sometime next year, so I am curious to learn.

What do you do with the beacon once you detect it?  

What happens if you remove it from the Beacon manager?

What happens if your stop/start monitoring?

On 11/14/2019 at 8:10 AM, Lars Fosdal said:

Yes of course I've seen that

What do you do with the beacon once you detect it?  

Well, this really depends on the context of your application. You can take a relevant action like show a message or initiate a process. For example, in shops, they place beacons near a group of products and then when the app detects the beacon, it shows some offers.

What happens if you remove it from the Beacon manager?

What happens if your stop/start monitoring?

The way it works is that TBeacon (which encapsulates the Beacon Manager) starts observing the bluetooth receiver and triggers events. For example, if a beacon is detected an event is triggered; similarly if a previously detected beacon is not active anymore, TBeacon sends another event.

In my case, when the button is pressed, TBeacon raises an event and then my app runs some REST operations

For my last questions - I was wondering whether removing a beacon from the manager, or stopping/starting the manager helped for redetecting the first detected beacon?