Silver Black

Delphi 10.3.2 CE: ReadOnly on units doesn't work anymore

When I clicked on a unit tab a pop-up menu allowed me to select some options (Close Pages, Pages, Properties, Read Only, etc. - see attached image).

Since when I installed 10.3.2 update on my CE RAD Studio, the "Read Only" option of that pop-up menu no longer works: no text "Read only" in the bottom of the unit to replace Insert/Overwrite mode and has no effect.

I used that option a lot since Delphi 6 up to Delphi 10.3.1 and it has always worked like a charm. Is it only me? What can I do?

NoReadOnly10.3.2.png

If you think GExperts may be the culprit, disable it with the Expert Manager, restart the IDE and see whether it solves the problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

If you think GExperts may be the culprit, disable it with the Expert Manager, restart the IDE and see whether it solves the problem.

And then how do I re-enable GExperts without the manager?

If I remember correctly there is a stand alone version of the expert manager in the start menu.

18 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

If I remember correctly there is a stand alone version of the expert manager in the start menu.

Sure, you are right, but even if I use the stand-alone version of Expert Manager when try to disable GExperts it says:

"You are about to disable or remove the GExperts DLL that contains the expert you are currently using.

If you proceed, you will not be able to use this Expert Manager the next time the IDE is started.

Do you want to proceed?"

So I think that after I disable it it won't run again. Maybe a new installation should fix that... who knows?

By the way: you do not use GE? They are amazing for me (a shame they are not updated with a dark theme).

Taken by desperation I tried... and GExperts stills reloads when I run the IDE, even if I disabvle it from the ExpertManager from the IDE. 

I downloaded the last version but nothing changes. No access violation when exiting the IDE (as you said in your blog), but read-only mode still doesn't work. 

I just tested the Read Only option of with Delphi 10.3 professional. It works fine with GExperts installed, so it probably isn't the culprit.

Also, disabling GExperts from the experts manager while it is acive in the IDE works fine for me (after restarting the IDE, GExperts is gone).

Enabling it via the stand alone Experts manager brought it back.

So everything seems to work as expected.

1 hour ago, Silver Black said:

By the way: you do not use GE?

I do use GExperts every day.

I don't use Delphi 10.3. I only have it installed to compile and test GExperts. And every time I have to use it I curse it.

1 hour ago, Silver Black said:

(a shame they are not updated with a dark theme).

I don't use the dark theme and I have got lots of more interesting things to do than implementing theming in GExperts. I already had enough trouble to keep GExperts functional when Embarcadero changed the light mode to also be a theme.

So, unless somebody submits a patch for this and fixes all the bugs it will most likely cause, theming in GExperts won't happen.

• Like 2

I just tested the Read Only option of with Delphi 10.3 professional. It works fine with GExperts installed, so it probably isn't the culprit.

Also, disabling GExperts from the experts manager while it is acive in the IDE works fine for me (after restarting the IDE, GExperts is gone).

Enabling it via the stand alone Experts manager brought it back.

So everything seems to work as expected.

OK, so there is something messed up with my CE 10.3.2.... odd because in 10.3.1 it worked like a charm.

I don't use the dark theme and I have got lots of more interesting things to do than implementing theming in GExperts. I already had enough trouble to keep GExperts functional when Embarcadero changed the light mode to also be a theme.

So, unless somebody submits a patch for this and fixes all the bugs it will most likely cause, theming in GExperts won't happen.

I see. It's good to be focused on the main things. Keep up your awesome job with GE!