NamoRamana

WinRT API Resources

Looking at "modernize" videos, it appears that Emb is gently advocating for adoption of more of Windows 10 related changes.  In this regards, I was looking at WinRT related programming in Delphi Rio. Apart from few handful components, there is not much information on how to go about utilizing WinRT APIs. As I understood WinRT is adopting positives from COM and .Net architecture.. In a layman programmer's term, I was wondering if one would to "modernize" his existing COM DLLs using WinRT APIs, where to start? Its hard to learn and adopt WinRT programming just from the bunch of header .pas files. 

Indeed the question is a little bit broad. Are you looking for visual or functional updates? The "How can I modernize my app" can mean implementing cloud-based data storage and/or processing with extensive APIs or just eye candy to make end users more comfortable using it.

Yes, I can compile our COM DLLs without UWP. I really don't have to use UWP. The reason I was exploring other options is that sometimes our components, when installed in COM+ servers, fail to perform well.. sometimes, admin has to kill dllhost on server. So I was wondering if UWP APIs can help me converting those COM components so that I don't have to rely on installing them in COM+ servers.

• Like 1

No reason to suspect that COM+ is the problem. Surely its just a defect in your code. Hard to imagine introducing another framework is the easiest solution. In any case I think it sounds like step 1 is to identify the problem precisely. 

Edited by David Heffernan

Agreeing with @David Heffernan here. If the only solution is to kill and restart you are facing an endless loop, a never firing event, critical section deadlock, incorrect CoInitialize context, an unhandled exception rendering the rest of your code unusable, or thousands of other reasons, what moving to a UWP will most likely not solve.

Litter your code with debugging log messages and you'll find out quickly what the culprit is.