Dalija Prasnikar

Delphi 10.3.3 has been released

On the Installation Notes page, I have not found any explicit mention of UNINSTALLING a previous version when UPDATING a PREVIOUS version to the current version 10.3.3.

For example, when updating the Delphi IDE from version 10.3.1 to the current version 10.3.3 with the ISO installer (as 10.3.1 had also been installed with the ISO), I suppose that the version 10.3.1 must be UNINSTALLED first (e.g. by using the Windows Control Panel) and select the option to KEEP THE 10.3.1 IDE SETTINGS.

Is this correct?

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

On the Installation Notes page, I have not found any explicit mention of UNINSTALLING a previous version when UPDATING a PREVIOUS version to the current version 10.3.3.

For example, when updating the Delphi IDE from version 10.3.1 to the current version 10.3.3 with the ISO installer (as 10.3.1 had also been installed with the ISO), I suppose that the version 10.3.1 must be UNINSTALLED first (e.g. by using the Windows Control Panel) and select the option to KEEP THE 10.3.1 IDE SETTINGS.

Is this correct?

I run the installer (existing version was 10.3.2). It offered to upgrade, modify or to uninstall. I selected modify, it did something which ended up with missing bds.exe, so I run it again, uninstalled that whatever version was there (by leaving the registry) and installed the 10.3.3. All settings were preserved and now I have 10.3.3 running.

I did a clean install of 10.3.3. this morning from an ISO.

All fine except no UI components available in FMX applications. VCL is fine.

Bother.....

34 minutes ago, Vince Bartlett said:

I did a clean install of 10.3.3. this morning from an ISO.

You mean you did not explicitly UNINSTALL the previous version (10.3.2) with the Windows Control Panel before doing the "clean install"?

2 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Why did you not select "Upgrade"?

Because "Upgrade" means entering another serial number to upgrade f.i. from Professional to Enterprise.

17 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Because "Upgrade" means entering another serial number to upgrade f.i. from Professional to Enterprise.

Uwe, thank you for your information. Why does Embarcadero use ambiguous terms (and possibly not explain them in the UI)? A user could easily believe that "Upgrade" means upgrading to the new version 10.3.3.

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 3

I uninstalled everything (including java) and installed clean from the ISO, at the end it was written to click finish and the microsoft sdk installer will execute, but it didn't.

I then tried to compile an Android application that compiled just fine with the 10.3.3 beta and I get this:

[Exec Error] The command "PATH C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_60\bin;C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\InterBase\redist\InterBase2017\IDE_spoof;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin;C:\Users\Yaron\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin64;C:\Users\Yaron\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\Bpl\Win64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin;C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin64;C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\Bpl\Win64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\bin;C:\Users\Yaron\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\bin64;C:\Users\Yaron\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\Bpl\Win64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\bin;C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\Bpl;C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\bin64;C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\Bpl\Win64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Borland\Delphi7\Projects\Bpl\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;c:\archive;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\SnapAPI\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Subversion\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkSharp\2.12\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin;C:\Android & "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\PlatformSDKs\android-sdk-windows\build-tools\28.0.2\dx.bat" --dex --output="Z:\VoucherimApp\Android\Release\classes.dex" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\android-support-v4.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\cloud-messaging.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-ads-base.17.2.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-ads-identifier.16.0.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-ads-lite.17.2.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-ads.17.2.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-analytics-impl.16.0.8.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-analytics.16.0.8.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-base.16.0.1.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-basement.16.2.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-gass.17.2.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-identity.16.0.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-maps.16.1.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-measurement-base.16.4.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-measurement-sdk-api.16.4.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-stats.16.0.1.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-tagmanager-v4-impl.16.0.8.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-tasks.16.0.1.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-android-gms.play-services-wallet.16.0.1.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-firebase.firebase-analytics.16.4.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-firebase.firebase-common.16.1.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-firebase.firebase-iid-interop.16.0.1.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-firebase.firebase-iid.17.1.1.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-firebase.firebase-measurement-connector.17.0.1.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\com-google-firebase.firebase-messaging.17.5.0.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\fmx.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\google-play-billing.dex.jar" "c:\program files (x86)\embarcadero\studio\20.0\lib\android\Release\google-play-licensing.dex.jar" " exited with code 3.

Do I need to install Java separately from the Delphi ISO?

Under "c:\Program Files\Java\" I can see "jdk1.8.0_60" and "jre1.8.0_60" populated folders that were created by the Delphi installer.

Edited by Yaron

I thought I may try the web installer as that worked for me well under a VM with the beta version, but since I originally installed through the ISO on my real PC, it warns me that the registry settings are incompatible and that I should use the ISO.

Edited by Yaron

I did not have any problem using web installer for several versions now. My 10.3.2 was a web installer installed. I choose not to remove all registry settings when asked. Installer first uninstalled 10.3.2 and after installed 10.3.3 just fine. I did not have to re-install any of my components except Ide FixPack.

You better have a fast internet connection for web installer, let it install over night or something similar though.

I eventually had to uninstall, including registry and reinstalled using the web installer to get things working again.

Now I need to re-configure Delphi from scratch, *yay*

GRRRRRR...

What kind of JUNK is this? After having executed and finished the setup from the 10.3.3 ISO, NO BDS.EXE is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin!!

image.thumb.png.08cc1db5cfd2b8a60ac6e748d579037a.png

Is Embarcadero not able to provide a working installer?

Edited by PeterPanettone

These are the settings from the setup program:

image.thumb.png.11bf0c86db27cc0f4f49fd02b6a0b4a0.png

According to these settings, the setup program should install RAD Studio.

What kind of "setup" program is this?

PS: BTW, although I have selected English as the setup language, you can see that parts of the installer instructions are in German. What kind of installer is this?

I am really pi**ed off!

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

GRRRRRR...

What kind of JUNK is this? After having executed and finished the setup from the 10.3.3 ISO, NO BDS.EXE is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\20.0\bin!!

Also happened to me.  I completed the setup and didn't have a BDS.exe...seemed like everything else was there?  I had to blow it all out and install to a new machine.

@Erix A. @PeterPanettone @Darian Miller I haven't used ISO for a while... but Delphi updates (including web installer) always required complete uninstall and reinstall procedure. You can only use Modify/Repair if you are modifying or repairing with the same installer you originally installed. If that is 10.3.2, then you can only use it for modifying 10.3.2 features.

There is a migration tool installed, accessible from Windows Start Menu that can be used for importing/exporting settings between various versions. But migration tool needs to be run before uninstalling. Also it is a bit flaky and not all settings are properly migrated. ISO installer had option to keep registry settings and that part worked better.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

but Delphi updates (including web installer) always required complete uninstall and reinstall procedure

Emba's Installation Notes doesn't mention uninstall. So it is sad to learn once more that Emba's documentation is UNRELIABLE.

But having an installer which isn't able to SIMPLY install an update over an existing version shows a magnitude of stupidity which is simply extraordinary.

Edited by PeterPanettone

57 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

You can only use Modify/Repair if you are modifying or repairing with the same installer you originally installed.

Also, this isn't mentioned in the documentation.

1 hour ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

migration tool

Fortunately, I have exported the settings before starting this whole mess.

I hope I will be able to clean up the mess by uninstalling 10.3 (hoping the settings have somehow been preserved), and then running the ISO setup again.

21 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Emba's Installation Notes doesn't mention uninstall.

Well, they do here:

If you have already installed 10.3 Rio (November 22nd, 2018), 10.3 Rio - Release 1 (February 14th, 2019) or 10.3 Rio - Release 2 (July 18th, 2019), installing 10.3 Rio - Release 3 requires a full uninstall and reinstall. As part of the uninstall process, you will see an option for preserving your settings. Separately, you can also preserve settings with Settings Migration Tool.

After having uninstalled 10.3 (with the option to keep the registry settings), I started the ISO setup.

But at the end of the ISO setup installation again no bds.exe has been created!!!

Also, at the end of the ISO setup there was a promise to install the Microsoft SDK:

1830275899_ClipboardImage.thumb.png.06c3b9e5cdf9ea348da7808f372a3afd.png

But nothing happened after clicking the Finish button!

What now?

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 1