Dalija Prasnikar

Delphi 10.3.3 has been released

23 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

What now?

The best options would be opening the installation support ticket https://www.embarcadero.com/support But AFAIK support only works Monday-Friday

I just found someone had similar issue (read the comments) http://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2019-november-delphi-10-3-3-available.html full  Uninstall/Reinstall helped in that case. 

Maybe try installation without adding Microsoft SDK.  Or try using the web install if downloading is not a problem for you.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more help, but the last ISO installer I used was for XE4.

• Like 1

As I suspected, the bug was in the InstallAware installer:

When UNINSTALLING from the Windows Control Panel, the InstallAware UnInstaller was executed, but obviously did not work correctly, so consequently, the ISO installer did not work correctly either.

But then, when uninstalling with the Setup.exe from the ISO (which also uses the same InstallAware product) with the Remove option (and in my case keeping the Registry settings):

image.png.96511e8f0a2f1f9137eba9a68f996f36.png

... the uninstall process worked correctly (probably due to specific data from the ISO and/or in Setup.exe) and consequently also the installation from the ISO now succeeded.

Now also the previous problem with the non-matching font sizes in some places of the IDE (e.g. the IDE title-bar dropdown) seems to be gone: I suspect this problem was caused due to a faulty uninstallation, as the uninstallation of my previous Rio IDE was also done from the Windows Control Panel.

And this time, the INSTALLATION took a VERY MUCH LONGER TIME - which is also a sign it fully worked this time. (Although the Microsoft SDK was again NOT INSTALLED). I suspect they have simply FORGOTTEN to include the Microsoft SDK installer in the ISO. In such a case the installer should show an error message, which the buggy InstallAware product did not.

So I don't understand why Emba still uses this STONE AGE InstallAware installer which obviously has a lot of bugs when there are very mature installers available (like e.g. Inno Setup).

Edited by PeterPanettone

53 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Unfortunately the problem in GetIt with the buttons being only partially visible has still not been solved in 10.3.3:

Reported as https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-26321 somehow it was not Opened. 

I guess that IDE is fully functional only at 100% DPI. All other scaling settings are causing trouble.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

I guess that IDE is fully functional only at 100% DPI. All other scaling settings are causing trouble.

I believe the problem in GetIt not showing buttons entirely is not primarily caused by scaling settings and could be resolved by fixing programming bugs in GetIt.

For this reason, I pledge to release GetIt as Open Source, so we can fix the problems ourselves.

Edited by PeterPanettone

FYI for people re-installing:

After a complete uninstall, I did a search of *embarcadero*.* on my system drive and found over 30GB of left-overs (from v10.2 and 10.3), which included a copy of interbase, the entire rad studio and sample files I choose to install in a non-default folder.

I actually did several install/uninstall cycles with just v10.3.3 and each time it left a large group of files behind (~2.5gb), so the uninstall process is far from clean.

Just be careful when erasing some of these folders as they may contain your license information.

Edited by Yaron

44 minutes ago, Yaron said:

FYI for people re-installing:

After a complete uninstall, I did a search of *embarcadero*.* on my system drive and found over 30GB of left-overs (from v10.2 and 10.3), which included a copy of interbase, the entire rad studio and sample files I choose to install in a non-default folder.

I actually did several install/uninstall cycles with just v10.3.3 and each time it left a large group of files behind (~2.5gb), so the uninstall process is far from clean.

Just be careful when erasing some of these folders as they may contain your license information.

Have you filed a bug report yet? If yes, please post a link here so we can vote on it.

55 minutes ago, Yaron said:

After a complete uninstall

Did you uninstall with the Windows Control Panel or with the Setup.exe from the ISO?

1 minute ago, PeterPanettone said:

Did you uninstall with the Windows Control Panel or with the Setup.exe from the ISO?

I used the option from the control panel.

For previous new versions, I always run the Web Installer, then it offers to uninstall the previous version of the software and ask me if mantain the registry keys. I always answer "yes" I everything runs smoothly: I have the new version instralled and all my settings preserved.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Silver Black said:

For previous new versions, I always run the Web Installer, then it offers to uninstall the previous version of the software and ask me if mantain the registry keys. I always answer "yes" I everything runs smoothly: I have the new version instralled and all my settings preserved.

I never realized Web installer also does that. I use migration tool, and I always uninstall first manually.

That's one reason why I don't work with packages installed by GetIt. Despite some efforts since the first appearance, it is still a half baked solution and not suitable for my environment and the way I work.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, Yaron said:

I thought I may try the web installer as that worked for me well under a VM with the beta version, but since I originally installed through the ISO on my real PC, it warns me that the registry settings are incompatible and that I should use the ISO.

I also succeeded by using the web installer in a VM. But since you are in a VM, the Delphi in the VM cannot know anything about Delphi outside of the VM.