Sign in to follow this  
Vince Bartlett

Project load error

I've been using 10.3.3 now for around a week. It's been mostly OK but I've now started receiving this error...

The project file could not be loaded. '�', hexadecimal value 0x01, is an invalid character. Line ????, position ??.  
[Fatal Error] The project file could not be loaded. '�', hexadecimal value 0x01, is an invalid character. Line ????, position ??.  

I thought it was Android only related but has started turning up when the Windows app version is active.

Anyone seen this before?

(and they've still not fixed Brief emulation Grrrrrrr....)

Have you tried using a different editor to see if it is possible to remove the offending character?

On 11/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, Lars Fosdal said:

Have you tried using a different editor to see if it is possible to remove the offending character?

I had the exact same issue now. Without any particular reason for it to start, or in other words, I did not make any changes to the project file.  Your advice set me on the right path. But in Notepad it did NOT show any offending characters, so I copied that problem line of code, then pasted it into another Notepad. Doing so removed the illegal char, then copied the new line and replaced the old line. The offending char was now gone and Delphi compiled again.

I see these characters typically when there is an ANSI vs UTF8 vs UTF8BOM mixup.

We prefer to ensure all files are in UTF8BOM format, and set up external tools, such as VS Code, to use that as the default format as well.

1 hour ago, JOEPRET said:

I had the exact same issue now. Without any particular reason for it to start, or in other words, I did not make any changes to the project file.  Your advice set me on the right path. But in Notepad it did NOT show any offending characters, so I copied that problem line of code, then pasted it into another Notepad. Doing so removed the illegal char, then copied the new line and replaced the old line. The offending char was now gone and Delphi compiled again.

Notepad++ can handle different encodings and easily switch between and convert them. Might be an easier option than copying line by line with Notepad.