Sign in to follow this  
Larry Hengen

Printing Multiple Charts that Span Pages

Anyone ever printed charts that are segmented to fit each page with a legend?  Client wants PDF output with multiple graphs vertically on the page with a user defined horizontal extent (ie: 50 metres) of each graph appearing on each page with a legend beside it.  Not quite the same problem as just printing an oversize image.  Any recommendations on approach or tools for Delphi?

32 minutes ago, Larry Hengen said:

Anyone ever printed charts that are segmented to fit each page with a legend?  Client wants PDF output with multiple graphs vertically on the page with a user defined horizontal extent (ie: 50 metres) of each graph appearing on each page with a legend beside it.  Not quite the same problem as just printing an oversize image.  Any recommendations on approach or tools for Delphi?

I do this in ReportBuilder. Are you using a reporting tool of any sort?

I am currently not using a reporting tool but I have used ReportBuilder in the past.  It is one of my more favorite report writing tools, but I was not aware that it would provide the functionality I desire for this use case.  Do you use it to print an image of the chart?  If that is the case then would you not still have to determine the image resolution to use, and where to segment it so it would fit on a page with the legend?

1 hour ago, Bill Meyer said:

I do this in ReportBuilder. Are you using a reporting tool of any sort?

I also had issue in the past using different ppDevices to render PDF.  The PDF text and images were sometimes blurry.  Any advice hot to address that?

16 hours ago, Larry Hengen said:

I am currently not using a reporting tool but I have used ReportBuilder in the past.  It is one of my more favorite report writing tools, but I was not aware that it would provide the functionality I desire for this use case.  Do you use it to print an image of the chart?  If that is the case then would you not still have to determine the image resolution to use, and where to segment it so it would fit on a page with the legend?

The charts I have needed to insert were relatively small, such that three -- the maximum I needed -- would fit on one page. Since there is embedded support in ReportBuilder for TeeChart, I wonder whether that may handle the concerns you raised.

16 hours ago, Larry Hengen said:

I also had issue in the past using different ppDevices to render PDF.  The PDF text and images were sometimes blurry.  Any advice hot to address that?

The only time I have seen issues with image quality was when the provided image was significantly smaller than needed, and it was being stretched the the desired size. That said, I believe that the support for such operations in most graphics components is less than excellent. If you need to enlarge images, you may do well to use graphics32 or similar, to enlarge them before inserting to the report.

@Geowink,

I actually bought RAVE at BorCon back in the day, but abandoned using it around the time they were no longer bundled with Delphi and support dried up.  I didn't know they were still in business, but that experience kind of soured me on them.  I was looking at Gnostice PDF Toolkit as a potential solution.

@Attila Kovacs

Interesting component suite.I can see that being a great solution for server side web projects.

1 hour ago, Larry Hengen said:

I can see that being a great solution for server side web projects.

Interesting approach, but yes, could be. 

I have a friend using ReportBuilder and for export purposes he uses Gnostice PDF Toolkit because ReportBuilder is not capable of building quality and glitch free PDF, PNG, etc files.

Gnostice has support for ReportBuilder.

3 hours ago, ertank said:

I have a friend using ReportBuilder and for export purposes he uses Gnostice PDF Toolkit because ReportBuilder is not capable of building quality and glitch free PDF, PNG, etc files.

Thanks for the feedback.  I would probably opt for Gnostice PDF Toolkit rather than using ReportBuilder with Gnostice's ppDevice implementations because if there is any issue one vendor might just point the finger at the other and it makes it more difficult to isolate the cause.

18 hours ago, ertank said:

I have a love/hate relationship with ReportBuilder. My experience has been that it builds PDFs reliably, and with no quality concerns. That said, when you encounter idiosyncratic behaviors, finding solutions for them can be a nightmare.

It is on my agenda to try FastReports, which looks promising.