Sign in to follow this  
dummzeuch

The annoying problem of the growing GExperts menu

As I add new functionality to GExperts the menu it displays grows larger and larger. On small monitors (there are still computers with e.g. 1024×600 pixels screen size in use, usually not with the latest Delphi version though) this means that the menu has to be broken into chunks, each with a “more” entry at the end to display the next chunk.
While this has been implemented for years (decades actually) it didn’t work very well. For Delphi 6 the code was completely broken (I might have been the culprit myself) it still had some bugs with all later versions.

No more. Today I fixed those bugs and tested it with screens as small as 640×480 pixels.

Also, when moving the GExperts menu into the Tools menu, there was a problem that the maximum number of entries for a chunk was not calculated correctly which would mean that the “more” entry could end up outside the visible area. This has also been fixed.

GExperts-Menu.thumb.png.19cff436ca05d344a04afd35a63615b9.png

Unfortunately this does not solve the underlying problem: The menu keeps growing. There are now a maximum of 45 + 3 Entries in that menu.  [read on in my blog post]

What about breaking down the menu into groups?

Yes, it is convenient to have everything on top level ... until it isn't.

Since I don't use GExperts, my grouping suggestion is only based on menu names, not on actual functionality - so some placements may be totally wrong.

File
  Code Librarian
  Code Proofreader ...
  Favorites 
  Open
Project
  Backup ...
  Class Browser
  Dependencies
  Source Export
Component
  Copy Names