Mark Williams

Detect user location from ip address

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to do this, but when my kids sign in to my Netflix account from various locations I get an email from Netflix to let me know what country and region they have signed in from. 

Does anyone have any idea how Netflix gets this info?

2 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can't see anything on the page/website which helps.

It is a joke - implying that if you surf from the space station, you get dating ads that are "near you" as spammers often use geolocation to generate fake ads for offers in your area.

24 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

It is a joke

Must be a European thing. As of last Friday it is now unlawful for me to get such jokes!

• Haha 1

Both my T-Mobile and AT&T LTE data accounts terminate at servers in the Los Angeles area. I'm in Phoenix, but could be anywhere in a very large radius (hundreds of miles).

When I watch TV or surf the net using these connections, I get stuff for the LA area b/c they think that's where I am. No, that's just where the IPs terminate. It's effectively working somewhat like a VPN.

If you're using WiFi and moving around, then you can use the location of nearby WiFi routers to provide fairly accurate location info as long as they're connected to an ISP that uses static IPs. But with DHCP, location data could be off by a mile or two. Or it'll be the location of the hub where they're line is connected.

• Like 1