Ian Branch

Sort the Component Palette??

Hi Guys,

Is there any tool or function that can/will sort the Delphi Component Palette?

Over time mine gets quite disorganized.  It would be great if the entries could be put into Alphanumeric order.

I appreciate that that may not be a good thing in regard to the core entries so perhaps they could be left as installed and only the additional entries sorted...

Just hoping. ;-)

Regards,

Ian

If you have lots of time on your hands you can sort them manually by dragging up and down, in the main window or the pull-down category list!

Hi Tim,

Yeah.  I was really trying to avoid that. 😉

If I knew where the info was perhaps I could write something....

Ian

Is there any way to add a second level of hierarchy to the tool palette?

Like an entry for "Jedi tools" then the various Jedi lists shown there. Or "DevEx" with the various DevEx lists there.

You are aware that the component palette supports incremental search/filtering? Just checking...

Edited by dummzeuch

Hi Thomas,

Yes, and I use it all the time, its just the aesthetic OCD coming out in me. 🙂

Ian

as for me, yes, but that's only handy when I know what I'm looking for. The type filter wouldn't work any differently with or without a deeper hierarchical organization.

16 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

If I knew where the info was perhaps I could write something....

I had the same thought, and I could not find them, which was irritating....

So I fired up PROCMON, filtered on bds.exe, and moved Additional down below Win32 in the Palette list, which caused a flurry of registry accesses. You can find the list in a long SZ value, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\20.0\ToolForm\Mapping\(Default).   Over to you; I am not sufficiently motivated to attempt this!

Retrieved it.  Sorted it.  Examined it.

Holy WTH!

Talk about garbage collection.  There is so much stuff there that is no longer, or was never loaded into Rio but perhaps came from previous versions.  I had Dev Express installed in Tokyo but never in Rio.

Not only that but the 'entry' delimiter ',' is used in some of the entries as well.  So much for token extraction.  Then there is the aspect of the Palette displayed when you just open Delphi mixed in amongst it all.

This should really be done a lot better and be better disciplined.

So much for that little project.  I'm sure it could still be done but it needs someone of a higher skill level than mine. 😞

Now, let me see, where did I put that other project.....

Yes, there is also a CopiedPaletteItems value in the key (mine is empty) and I think I spotted in Procmon a check for a DeletedPaletteItems value (which I do not have).  I agree with your conclusion; the main value (a huge string on my system) is not a pool that I want to paddle in.  And that was decided after only looking at the leading characters of the string visible in Procmon.  Probably any attempt to reverse engineer it would technically violate the licence, so I am going to stick with the way the palette is now.  Over the years I have got used to finding recently installed components near the bottom, and most often the ones I need can be found quite quickly from the substring search.  Just close that box and lock it!