PeterPanettone

VERY SMALL IDE font sizes

Now I have done it: Got me a Mac (MacBook Pro 16", 64 GB RAM, 4 TB SSD, 8 GB Graphics) with Parallels Desktop Pro and Windows Home 10 (not the crippled N-version for EU-ropeans).

Installed the latest Delphi RIO 10.3.3 and got ... VERY small IDE UI fonts:

image.thumb.png.547c3e915fa7a92fa642c35a1b53e3c4.png

In the above screenshot, I combined the IDE with the Windows 10 system settings window where you can see that my text size is set to 150%.

The screen resolution is set to the monitor-native 3840 x 1600:

image.png.19e6fbb6a056a0975990aaf7e6ba74c0.png

on this monitor: LG UltraWide (3840 x 1600 pixel) (87 x 36 cm).

So the final question: Is there a way to increase the IDE UI font sizes under these conditions?

Here is another screenshot comparing the IDE's Object Inspector fonts with the "normal" Windows 10 system fonts:

image.thumb.png.4d6434801c49442158fc43846dcba4f8.png

Edited by PeterPanettone

The IDE UI font size can be changed here in the Windows Registry:

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Rio/en/System_Registry_Keys_for_IDE_Visual_Settings

However, the toolbar icons and icon labels (?) and the title bar (text) still remain microscopically small:

image.thumb.png.ace46fd2b1e6ddb540d1ec849a7aa0a7.png

Even the GetIT fonts are still VERY SMALL compared to the now enlarged IDE Menu font:

image.thumb.png.95efdc6c081b1c679c7ee2b8c51b7828.png

Edited by PeterPanettone

2 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

no. use 200% scaling for best result

After having set the system font size to 200%, the font sizes in the Delphi IDE (except the menu font) still remain microscopically small:

image.thumb.png.ceb2f2d076d7fe337ed54666b1040aff.png

3 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

scaling, not the text size

image.png

200% scaling makes all "normal" non-legacy apps look HORRIBLE!

And look how horrible the F6 drop-down search-results list looks when scaling is set to only 150% (!):

image.thumb.png.07e69c65b31ade347cc7408da74200f8.png

Edited by PeterPanettone

6 minutes ago, Vandrovnik said:

IDE is not HDPI aware (yet), so it will be blured...

Correct. Emba promised several years ago to make the IDE High DPI Aware.

Although the tools to make the IDE High DPI Aware are available to everybody.

Edited by PeterPanettone

38 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Maybe 400% text zoom would be better.

Attila, it is important to understand comments. Maybe a second reading lesson would be better.

@PeterPanettone: Though you try to put humor in your writing, I recommend one of two things:

1. Take a deep breath before you begin to write a reply, imagine what others may read in that reply, how they might feel, if you would want to be addressed that way and most importantly, if it will have any positive impact on solving your issue
  2. Read your posts after writing them, then take a deep breath, delete all and rewrite according to option 1

Please don't get personal. No good will come of it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

In the current Windows 10 version, there's a new feature that lets you override the scaling behaviour of individual executables.

Right-click the executable in the explorer-> Compatibility -> Change High-DPI settings.

5 hours ago, A.M. Hoornweg said:

In the current Windows 10 version, there's a new feature that lets you override the scaling behaviour of individual executables.

Right-click the executable in the explorer-> Compatibility -> Change High-DPI settings.

Thanks, this is the dialog box which belongs to the mentioned setting (in German)

image.thumb.png.93ff87241af8797accb9096b19b570db.png

From what I understand from this confusing text, it assumes that the DPI value for the primary display has changed after Windows Logon and that this change is the font of my problems.

Since that is not the case, it seems that DPI problems for a single application cannot be solved in this way.

Typical Microsoft "problem-solving". :classic_dry:

You should tick the lower checkbox and then select "System (erweitert)".

40 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

You should tick the lower checkbox and then select "System (erweitert)".

Thanks, I did that:

image.thumb.png.c76004139a9a2d8d2f0b83c90f40eca7.png

But that did not change absolutely anything.

It seems the text in that dialog box has been written by a person who is being paid writing the silliest text in the whole company. It reminds me of Monty Python.

(See the Monty Python sketch "The Ministry of Silly Walks" that best depicts the silly nature of British humor).

Edited by PeterPanettone

It actually makes (some) sense. This latter setting enables Windows to ignore the high-dpi compatibility setting in the program's manifest so you can test out which setting works best for the application.  Also, you can specify if the setting is valid for all users or just for you.