bazzer747

Startup Forms

Hi

When Delphi starts up an existing project, it shows some existing forms. I always thought it would show the forms that were in use when the project was last worked on. This isn't the case, as several forms are opened which haven't been worked on and have been closed down, yet still they are opened when that project is opened again.

Where is this detail stored? I can only think in an ini file or the registry somewhere, but more important how can they be changed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The Delphi IDE stores the currently open files when this is activated in the IDE option settings (auto save - project desktop). If you see files closed in a previous session that option is most likely disabled and the last saved project desktop (<projectname>.dsk) is loaded.

If you found it necessary to kill Delphi, then the desktop would not have been updated, and on the next open, the files presented would be from the last saved desktop state.

Uwe,

Thanks for that information. I've opened that .dsk file and can see thee 'unwelcomed' forms listed under [Modules]. Is it OK to delete them from here? Is this the best/safest way?

I've also looked under tools/Options/User Interface, Reopen Menu - and under files can see these two unwanted forms (pas and dfm files) there, but with lots of other forms. Although the heading for this list says 'Reopen items' some do some don't. Is this where you can delete the unwanted .pas/.dfm files so they won't open despite the misleading heading?

Bill,

I've found what you say not to be the case. On several occasions I've closed those 'unwanted' forms, opened and saved several other forms, then properly closed Delphi, saving any changes necessary and yet when I bring Delphi up again there are those two unwanted forms and not the forms that were opened when last used, other than the Main form and a data module (these two are in my 'Auto-create forms' list rather than 'Available forms' (which hold all the other forms in the project.

23 minutes ago, bazzer747 said:

Bill,

I've found what you say not to be the case. On several occasions I've closed those 'unwanted' forms, opened and saved several other forms, then properly closed Delphi, saving any changes necessary and yet when I bring Delphi up again there are those two unwanted forms and not the forms that were opened when last used, other than the Main form and a data module (these two are in my 'Auto-create forms' list rather than 'Available forms' (which hold all the other forms in the project.

Perhaps there has been some change over versions in when the desktop save is accomplished. In D2007, where I spend a good deal of time, the behavior I described is so consistent that I sometimes treat it as a feature.

Uwe,

Thanks for that information. I've opened that .dsk file and can see thee 'unwelcomed' forms listed under [Modules]. Is it OK to delete them from here? Is this the best/safest way?

I've also looked under tools/Options/User Interface, Reopen Menu - and under files can see these two unwanted forms (pas and dfm files) there, but with lots of other forms. Although the heading for this list says 'Reopen items' some do some don't. Is this where you can delete the unwanted .pas/.dfm files so they won't open despite the misleading heading?

Bill,

HaHa, I struggle with lots of things that I could take for granted in earlier versions of Delphi like, as you, they always worked! Nowadays that isn't the case (in my experience). I have lots of problems with different areas of the IDE which I have to work around as they don't work as they should do. I've reported most of them but does anything get done - no, is my answer, and I've always updated to the latest Delphi (despite the ever increasing prices)  partly in the hope that the 'known' issues will have been fixed.