dummzeuch

Delphi is 25 years old - my life story with Delphi

Everybody seems to be blogging about Delphi having been around for 25 years, so I won’t stay back and tell some of my story.

When I finished university and started a job, Delphi was just about being “born” and I was working with Turbo Pascal and later Visual Basic. VB was great in some aspects because it allowed to easily design user interfaces and write code only where you needed it. It wasn’t after several years later that I was introduced to Delphi when I took a job at fPrint UK Ltd. (Yes, that’s what web pages looked in 1997) and moved from Germany to the UK. The time I worked there was among the best of my life. I had some great coworkers there who were expert software developers ...

read on in the blog post.

• Like 1

Ooooooooh, shadows under everything, rough edge of transparent GIFs and default (times?) font... brings back some bitter-sweet memories.

I don't like the way webpages are "evolving" but I'm glad we broke free from these designs 🙂

44 minutes ago, aehimself said:

Ooooooooh, shadows under everything, rough edge of transparent GIFs and default (times?) font... brings back some bitter-sweet memories.

I don't like the way webpages are "evolving" but I'm glad we broke free from these designs 🙂

Which web page are you talking about? Mine? fPrint's?

If it's the latter: I think it originally had a background color matching the GIFs' background, so it didn't look quite as bad as in the archived version.

Edited by dummzeuch

The bitter-sweet memories are for the archived version of fPrint. I remember my first website I created (it was in the early 2000's though) but browser capabilities did not allow too much freedom (index.html, browserdetect.js, index_ie.html, index_ns.html; anyone? 🙂) and they were kinda similar.

The (d)evolution of websites does not apply on it, nor yours. It's the mass: dynamic content loading causing browsers to eat up the memory of NASA's supercomputers, JavaScript attempting to behave like a real programming language, ads, consents, facebook integration with everything so you can't check an article without a profile (or registering), stuff like this.

Things were much more simple in the early days.

• Like 1