Attila Kovacs

Debug visualizers

Why don't we have a bunch of cool visualizers in the IDE when it's pretty easy to make?

(let's see how video embedding works, youtube had a very bad video quality)

In the video there is a TStringList Visualizer I put together.

• Like 9

I wondered about it too but the truth is that I rarely need something more than StringList and TDateTime visualizers. Anyway yours is cool!

@dummzeuch how do you return the date without the apostrophes? Just cutting them off by yourself?

Edit: hmmm no, because you have the double value at the bottom.

"Also, for now, I won’t provide source code for them. I haven’t yet decided whether I want to make them yet another open source project or maybe a commercial product."

Did you decide in the last ~3 years? 😉 

Edited by Attila Kovacs

Sometimes I miss XML vis-er; JSON one might be useful too. But there's a number of implementations available so they are unlikely be implemented

More than visualizers I wish some stable, reliable  debug evaluation in the first place, under all platforms .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Why don't we have a bunch of cool visualizers in the IDE when it's pretty easy to make?

Um, because they are not actually easy to make.  One needs to have a basic understanding of writing design-time packages and working with the OpenTools API, and a working knowledge of using the Visualizer API correctly, which can actually be a real PITA to work with.

17 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

@dummzeuch how do you return the date without the apostrophes? Just cutting them off by yourself?

It's a hack (there is no OTA access to the debugger in Delphi 2005 to 2007): The plugin reads the output memo from the dialog and then tries to convert it. It  then directly writes the result to the memo.

That has some drawbacks of course: long text is truncated so the conversion won't be complete. Float strings do not have the full precision, so converting them to TDateTime is also restricted in the precision, mostly on the time part.

17 hours ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Yes, I decided that apparently nobody is interested, so I simply kept it to myself.

If anybody wants it, I'll make the source code available (if I can still find it).

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, Attila Kovacs said:

"Also, for now, I won’t provide source code for them. I haven’t yet decided whether I want to make them yet another open source project or maybe a commercial product."

No, but I did today.

• Like 2