I can offer to test some code if you have any early versions and attempt to do some user documentation as I do the testing.

The only other thought that came to mind was, perhaps there is already a standardised way of describing

data structures which would avoid the need to come up with your own.

I was looking for feedback on the syntax maybe. And I have seen a lot of formats, most of which are not fully declarative, and one of a thesis which is rather complete, but which isn't open source/fully explained.

Honestly, the exchange is part of the motivation. But probably I have more freedom that way.

Regarding S-Records, yes they are supported, import and export. Support for gaps is added in the soon to be released version 2.5.

Is the syntax independent of alignment boundaries, is it assumed to be 1 byte aligned (or otherwise) and gaps are explicit?

For S-Records/Intel Hex the gaps are explicit, like in every program that supports these formats.

It's not really related to structure parsing or presentation.

HSD currently assumes 1 byte packing and no padding, but I will add options later to explicitly state alignment/packing/padding using type parameters, such as

StructName<Param1=Value1, Param2=Value2, ...>

This is similar to how pointers work now. See earlier posts with pointer<AddressType, SomeTargetType>.

Edited by mael

Another thought, related. Maybe there is another application here that is possible.

You could have a configurable Window 10 Binary Quick File viewer.

Not really a Universal File Viewer (something that does exist) just something the focuses on interpreting raw data as records

and bringing it up quickly as part of the Windows Shell, fast.

Then from there there would be an option to launch HxD to edit the file as records or raw data.

HxD 2.5 was released with many feature enhancements and bug fixes.

Here are the change log and the download.

GregC/DigicoolThings published a disassembler plugin on GitHub for MC6800, MC6809, 6502 and related CPUs.

The updated plugin framework can be found, here, as usual:
https://github.com/maelh/hxd-plugin-framework

If you like it, please star / fork it, so it becomes more well known.

Donations are welcome if you want to say thanks.

Edited by mael
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3