Lars Fosdal

SDTimes Industry Watch: The developer transformation

Precisely 🙂

More often, it is about devs doing operational care and maintenance, first line support, etc - or devs doing tasks such as second line failure / error analysis and verifying that a problem can be reproduced before escalating.

Yes, I get it. Just kidding.

In small companies where I worked, the above usually happens.

A colleague of mine just cleaned his desk and cupboard. And by "cleaned" I don't mean "remove his stuff" but literally remove the dust accrued over several years. Talk about menial tasks...

In case anyone wonders, here is the original "study":

https://stripe.com/files/reports/the-developer-coefficient.pdf

Sure, this PowerPoint has nice colours and everything, but I really don't know what to make of things like (emphasis by me)

How many hours per week do you estimate developers at your company waste on maintenance (i.e. dealing with bad code / errors, debugging, refactoring, modifying)?

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, Der schöne Günther said:

How many hours per week do you estimate developers at your company waste on maintenance (i.e. dealing with bad code / errors, debugging, refactoring, modifying)?

It is waste if you spend time continuously fixing the same broken code, instead of buying or rebuilding something that can replace it and reduce "daily" maintenance chores?

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 5:22 AM, Lars Fosdal said:

It is waste if you spend time continuously fixing the same broken code, instead of buying or rebuilding something that can replace it and reduce "daily" maintenance chores?

I asked the Embarcadero IDE team and they said "no". 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1