bazzer747

Debug v Release problem

Hi,

Something really strange, which I've never seen before in creating my apps (all Windows 64bit). When I run the app in Debug mode it runs fine, albeit 38mb in size. When I run it in Release mode (14mb in size) it fails with an access violation after the main form shows and I click on a button which links to another form.

I can only think it has been something I have done and I'm frantically looking at all the changes I've done recently.

Another oddity is that I have a Splash screen showing whilst the app is initialised, which is hidden before the final Application Run. However, the Splash screen is still showing (in the Release) after the main form shows, which is very odd as I have 'fSplashscreen.Hide; fSplashScreen.Free; immediately before the Application.Run command, which doesn't make sense. It does seem this is where the problem is, but I cannot trace this as it all works OK in Debug mode.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Logging is required now. And of course a nice exception handler like MadExcept or EurekaLog.

Hi

Sorted! The mystery was why it was OK in Debug but not in Release mode, I found the answer was I was trying to force connection to a Test Server and forgot (idiot!) to connect all the queries to the Test Firedac connection. 

The Splashscreen stayed on the screen because (trying to figure what was wrong) I had added the Splashscreen to the forms created at initialisation time and one was already being created, so there were two of them - only one was closed.

As always, a silly mistake on my part, sorry to have bothered you before I did more thorough checking.

39 minutes ago, bazzer747 said:

As always, a silly mistake on my part, sorry to have bothered you before I did more thorough checking.

That is what happens to me half the time as well, the other half I'm chiding myself to be more careful next time. Then I forget...