microtronx

Delphi Rio IDE hangs again and again

HI Folks,

after latest patches (can't say which of them, installed all available patches) i have the IDE hanging a lot ... and all not saved work is lost! this happended this week on each day min 2-3 times. At the time of hanging the taskmanager shows this:

image.thumb.png.59af71e9f2644fbaab3afe899e7d68e5.png

So my question is: Is this happening only at my side or do you also have such hangers and problems with Rio 10.3? I have idefixpack installed and dDevExtensions because without them IDE is much slower.

17 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Are there any files in your projects that are on a network drive?

No, everything is local. Memory consumption of bds.exe goes up to 1,5 GB. Have tried to wait ... some hours but it hangs. Only way is to kill the task and all programming is lost!

When BDS reaches 1.5Gb - you are usually in an out-of-memory situation, and BDS will behave erratically or most likely not at all.
The question then is - what is eating your memory?

Are you building multiple projects in a project group?  

Nope, one project and as i know it hangs i try to open only few forms but it happens ...

2 hours ago, microtronx said:

HI Folks,

after latest patches (can't say which of them, installed all available patches) i have the IDE hanging a lot ... and all not saved work is lost! this happended this week on each day min 2-3 times. At the time of hanging the taskmanager shows this:

image.thumb.png.59af71e9f2644fbaab3afe899e7d68e5.png

So my question is: Is this happening only at my side or do you also have such hangers and problems with Rio 10.3? I have idefixpack installed and dDevExtensions because without them IDE is much slower.

No sure if I suffer from same case, but IDE hangs once per week or so, lately not that often, but it happens.

And at least what I get I need to kill bds.exe. Sometimes closing Tabs will hang/crash IDE (for me and one of my coworkers have complained about this)

-Tee-

today i had this 4-5 times. Its anoying now, currently i had created a new form with a lot of configuration in cxgrid and now all is gone!

2 minutes ago, Jacek Laskowski said:

What IDE add-ons/experts do you use?

I have nothing special installed:

- DDevExtensions now uninstalled

- GExperts installed but using only RegEx-Search and Replace

- TSI Language

- MadExcept

Just now, Lars Fosdal said:

Are there a lot of forms that have design-time data connections?

Yes, i work with DevExpress components for dbEdits or dbGrids (cxGrid) but 5 mins ago i had only two forms open , not too much components <100 on them.

Is it mission impossible to disable the data links on forms when not working on them?

It would probably mean that you need to add code to activate the connectivity at run-time.

All

1 minute ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Is it mission impossible to disable the data links on forms when not working on them?

It would probably mean that you need to add code to activate the connectivity at run-time.

All of my connectivity is activated in runtime but why we have RAD? I need to activate them in Designtime for a short time to create i.e. the default columns in the grids etc. or to have to possibility to select the databinding.datafields without entering the names of those fields manually... or i'm doing something wrong?

Well, the point here is not disabling RAD as such - but to try to determine where the memory goes.

That said - I stopped doing RAD years ago and swear by setting things up in code. 
Got fed up with lost property values and event handlers after code merge blunders.

I would try to find out when used memory grows in size. After opening a certain form, or after compiling, or after starting the program, or after interrupting of execution Ctrl-F2...

Try to temporary disable third party plugins and CodeInsight features (Error insight, Help insight).

Edited by Kryvich
  • Like 1

Using Process Hacker can give some insight into which modules are loaded and what kind of allocations are done.

image.thumb.png.d8f51d7e1f7b75e298441f11419082d3.png

It seems that today the hangers happen (sometimes), when i open the cxGridview "Customizing" ... but nothing changed in the last weeks. Same components-version.

Here's fresh opened IDE:

image.thumb.png.d3b724eb07e49d9f4886a3068f03d1d5.png

And now after first RUN with debugger and exit application normally:

image.thumb.png.ea147baaecaeece2143c1bcfbc540826.png

In case you have home-grown components, I assume you have done basic leak checking on those.
Not freeing stuff after use can quickly escalate memory usage for database objects. Learned that the hard way.

Anyways - this is just guesswork.  You'll have to turn every stone to solve this.

3 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

In case you have home-grown components, I assume you have done basic leak checking on those.
Not freeing stuff after use can quickly escalate memory usage for database objects. Learned that the hard way.

I create own components now for more than 18 years without problems. Freeing explicit everything i have used. Possible that update of TMS VCL UI Pack or other components have problems now. 

But why delphi does not give the uses memory for debugging free after execution has terminated ? Bad.

1 minute ago, microtronx said:

I create own components now for more than 18 years without problems. Freeing explicit everything i have used. Possible that update of TMS VCL UI Pack or other components have problems now. 

But why delphi does not give the uses memory for debugging free after execution has terminated ? Bad.

We are still on the TMS Component Pack 9.0.3, but not using any of the data-aware components.

Usually such mess can start if you have cyclic unit definitions. 

I would try to cleanup and rearrange used units, to maybe find the possible root cause. 

Sorry if I'm intruding,
I have had this problem since I was working with XE3 on Win7, I went to "Seattle" hoping to solve it, but it got worse (probably due to Win10??). Even when working with affinity set on a single processor sometimes (about once out of 10) using debugging, the system stopped completely forcing me to forcefully turn off the PC.

I finally moved to "Rio" because with "Seattle" under Win10 it was becoming an ordeal, but also on RIO the situation has not changed at all (in the meantime I have also changed PC so even that variable has been changed).
At this point I don't know what to think, my applications are not heavy, while BDS works it allocates about 500 megs, I don't use livebindings and many times I don't even have active any DB connections.
The only thing in particular is that I use runtime packages, because my modules are ultimately plugins that are loaded at runtime.

I do not know if this can somehow influence (my feeling is that my programs that do not use this type of mode do not have this problem) but I have now reached a limit, it is possible that Embarcadero is not able to establish from what depends on this type of problem, is it a problem of Delphi, of Win10, of memory, of external components, of global warming or what?
I got really tired and I think that working with the "Russian roulette" of debugging is no longer acceptable!