MikeMon

Use an Xcode Storyboard to Provide the App’s Launch Screen

In the latest iOS App requirements and guidelines, one of the requirements says:

"Apps for iPhone or iPad must ..... and use an Xcode storyboard to provide the app’s launch screen."

Does this mean that a launch image is not enough and we need to create a splash screen inside the app? or this is already handled by Delphi?

Here is a response I saw on another forum with a similar question:

Clearly, Delphi apps cant be made with XCode Storyboard (What kind of a requirement is that? It was done with something else to great extend?). Will there be any support to simplify Apple account login? All screens are supported as is?

You can create the launchscreen in xcode and modify info.plist to use it (UILaunchStoryboardName).

10 hours ago, Remy Lebeau said:

Here is a response I saw on another forum with a similar question:

How come there's nothing in forums about this? How are other Delphi users developing for iOS tackling this? The above solution doesn't feel right.

2 hours ago, MikeMon said:

How come there's nothing in forums about this? How are other Delphi users developing for iOS tackling this? The above solution doesn't feel right.

I don't know when (or if) Apple will make it a requirement to use the Storyboard, but so far you can still use the old way that Delphi supports right now. We are not using the storyboard solution in our app, and that is still accepted by Apple. Its only one week ago we uploaded the last update.

2 minutes ago, Hans♫ said:

I don't know when (or if) Apple will make it a requirement to use the Storyboard, but so far you can still use the old way that Delphi supports right now. We are not using the storyboard solution in our app, and that is still accepted by Apple. Its only one week ago we uploaded the last update.

This is an email I received a couple of days ago.

Dear Mike,

We greatly value the worldwide developer community, and appreciate your commitment to making a difference in people’s lives through the power of technology. To accommodate developers who may need additional time to update their existing apps on the App Store, the deadline for adhering to the requirements below has been extended to June 30, 2020.

• Apps for iPhone or iPad must be built with the iOS 13 SDK or later and use an Xcode storyboard to provide the app’s launch screen.
  • iPhone apps must support all iPhone screens and all iPad apps must support all iPad screens.
  • Apps for Apple Watch must be built with the watchOS 6 SDK or later.
  • Apps that authenticate or set up user accounts must support Sign in with Apple if required by guideline 4.8 of the App Store Review Guidelines.
  • Apps in the Kids category must be in full compliance with guideline 1.3 and guideline 5.1.4. of the App Store Review Guidelines.
  • Apps using HTML 5 must be in full compliance with guideline 4.7 sections 4, 5, and 6 of the App Store Review Guidelines.

Thank you for your continuing efforts to serve your users during this time. If you have any questions, contact us.

Read the App Store Review Guidelinesarrow_2x.gif

Learn about submitting appsarrow_2x.gif

Best regards,
Apple Developer Relations

The initial deadline was the April 29.

So, obviously, we have an issue here with the first and 4th points.

Any input would be appreciated.

11 minutes ago, MikeMon said:

... and use an Xcode storyboard to provide the app’s launch screen.

Thanks, I got that email too, but obviously missed the part about the storyboard 🙂

On 3/30/2020 at 10:39 PM, Remy Lebeau said:

You can create the launchscreen in xcode and modify info.plist to use it (UILaunchStoryboardName).

Dear Remy,

thanks for the info, there is a nice tutorial howto do that in XCode.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/xcode-storyboard-option-for-splash-screens-launch-screens-in-ios-build.811131/

Have not checked it, but I hope that works for me too, no idea yeat what else might this change affect.

Will there be any special requirements to the images itself (size, type, etc.) ?

Edited by Rollo62

I got confirmation from Embarcadero support that storyboard launch screen will be supported in 10.4, including the beta that will be available to Delphi/RAD Studio customers on update subscription.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Any direction on "Sign in with Apple" requirement? Deadline is June 30th, too.