Sign in to follow this  
Len Yates

Android FMX Game App not working reliably

I was able to use Firemonkey to develop a multi-platform game, specifically for Android at first.  After thoroughly debugging the app when running in Windows, I then deployed it in my Android tablet, and there were several problems, especially with regard to drag-and-drop, plus images that would remain on the screen when they should have disappeared.  These problems were intermittent -- difficult to re-produce reliably.  Nevertheless, I spent many hours trying every little trick I could think of in terms of structuring the code (e.g. different ways of trying to make a glyph disappear), but still could not get the functionality to where it needed to be.  I was using Android 32-bit - Android SDK 25.2.5.  Again, this app would run consistently and perfectly when running the Windows version!  Unfortunately, I'll have to give up on this project unless someone has a bright idea.

I would say this depends highly on what you want to achive.
Pure visual stuff usually works nice, but FMX is not made for game development.

I think the approach Windows-first was not a good idea, better start Mobile-first, and then use Windows for testing.

What I would recommend is to modularize as much as possible, and try each little piece on Android,

putting all together step-by-step, and well tested.

I know this is not an easy way and maybe the problem lies somewhere else, but without any info the best thought I could get.

Edited by Rollo62

You may be manipulating images without checking the scale of the screen. Because in Windows the scale is usually 1 so there are no problems. Try on your windows to adjust the scale to 150% and test your program.

I have a delphi crossplataform app that works perfectly on Windows, iOS and Android. It is not a game but have some cool animations that execute with 60fps without any choking and is more fast then the most of the apps that I have on my phone.

Edited by vfbb

Other possibility: Are you using threads/tasks for draw bitmaps? Or for change the UI?

The main thread is my only thread.  

To Rollo62: Since I am using Delphi on a Windows system, it is only natural to get a program working in Windows first, and then to try attaching an Android device and trying the program in there, with debugging or without.  

Also, monitor your memory consumption in the Windows App. If it is not stable but keeps growing - there is a chance that you have a leak.