Chris Pim

NSHighResolutionCapable = true scaling problems on MacOS 10.13

I wonder if anyone else has seen problems with UI scaling on MacOS apps? I created a testing tool in Delphi 10.3.3 for Mac OS and it looks great on 10.15 (Catalina). My MacOS SDK in Delphi is 10.15.3.

I passed the binary to a colleague running MacOS 10.13 to run, and although the window size was the same, the contents rendered 4 x larger and the app became unusable. After some trial and error I realised the problem was the NSHighResolutionCapable which was set to true. I changed this to false and it runs fine on both Macs ok. The only remaining oddity is that it renders the titlebar twice - the correct one and then a secondary one with the app name directly below it.

I've searched Embarcadero's quality portal for any reference to this but can't find any. Has anyone else had this problem before? I'm happy to log it with them if it looks like a bug.

I'm not even sure what having NSHighResolutionCapable = true does besides cause problems, so wonder if I'd be better keeping it turned off?

Thanks guys that’s really helpful. I was searching for the NSHighResolutionCapable flag so no wonder I didn’t find that article! I’ll give it a try.