This project shows how to convert an SVG XML source text to a freely scalable SVG image (Scalable Vector Graphics):

image.png.0dba8dbaeec18dd9b1685b2091ea1f93.png

It uses the SVGMagic library which is available here: https://svgmagic.io

TextToSvg2.zip

I am NOT affiliated with SVGMagic.

Have fun and DON'T BE SCARED!

Edited by PeterPanettone

Hello,

I was VERY interested until I read "(no source code)" and "(includes source code repository access)".

Not sure what the later means.

Never purchase components without source code.

My2c.

Mark

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mark- said:

Hello,

I was VERY interested until I read "(no source code)" and "(includes source code repository access)".

Not sure what the later means.

Never purchase components without source code.

My2c.

Mark

You can get the source code from Github. It is very easy to get.

Edited by PeterPanettone

1 hour ago, Mark- said:

Source code for what? What you are selling?

I don't sell anything. Please don't insinuate anything here if I was a drug dealer. If you don't want to pay a small fee for other people's hard work you can write the code yourself.

While the opensource idea is a good concept for social collaboration,  the misconception that EVERYTHING must be free is a pathological social delusion.

Edited by PeterPanettone

I agree with the sentiment of never buying components without source code.

That said - $299 for 8 licenses with source code is not over the top for what appears to be a capable piece of code.

Still, it would have been nice to see a $149..1xx single user license including source.

Please keep the commentary polite and constructive.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark- said:

No source code    = no go

only VCL (I guess) = no go (for me)

There is an alternative here

Edited by Rollo62
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So... I went full tilt A**hole Admin and removed the noise.

1. Don't assume everything is an insult

2. Don't abuse the report system

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

I don't sell anything. Please don't insinuate anything here if I was a drug dealer. If you don't want to pay a small fee for other people's hard work you can write the code yourself.

While the opensource idea is a good concept for social collaboration,  the misconception that EVERYTHING must be free is a pathological social delusion.

#1 You need to get a grip.

#2 I insinuated nothing. Your "drug dealer" rant springs from your own mind. 

#3 I see you edited the original post to say you are not affiliated with the product.

#4 I never said anything about free. Where you jumped to ""EVERYTHING" must be free..." is mind boggling. 

#5 You need to get a grip.

@Lars That said - $299 for 8 licenses with source code is not over the top for what appears to be a capable piece of code.

I thought the same but the page said "includes source code repository access" and while I understand all the words the phrase gives me pause. "Source code included" is the standard phrase, concise and non ambiguous.

Good luck.

41 minutes ago, Mark- said:

Good luck.

Did you test the project at all? Can you tell me your opinion about the project source?

Good luck. :classic_cheerleader: and: DON'T BE SCARED!

Edited by PeterPanettone

55 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Did you test the project at all? Can you tell me your opinion about the project source?

I do not want to download and use the SVG code.

The project source looks good. No idea about the SVG definition.

The Pascal stuff is fine for testing.

Why the test? Do you have a reason for the code other than an experiment?

13 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

I think the importance of SVG for UI is underestimated. Using only pixel images for UI controls is the wrong way.

Our main product is very graphic intensive. The customers design and animate the graphics, in an editor we created, for their operators to use for controlling...anything that can be controlled.

I asked a few years ago if SVG was important and was told no. I am going to reopen the question.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

And yet, that's the way the software world has headed towards. Open source is more than just good for "social collaboration", it's good for producing secure, reliable code at a potential pace that far outstrips what any commercial vendor can produce (e.g. the Linux kernel has more contributors than even Microsoft can devote to its own kernel).

7 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

That said - $299 for 8 licenses with source code is not over the top for what appears to be a capable piece of code.

Still, it would have been nice to see a $149..1xx single user license including source.

Honestly, if I ran the idea of paying $149 to be able to display an SVG file to any programming forum outside of this one, I guarantee you the reaction would not be positive.

I've always said, "Make money with Delphi, not from Delphi". A survey of developers found that the number one reason they gave for choosing a language for a project was the number of libraries available for it (and preferably open source ones). When the Delphi community tries to charge for things that are free everywhere else, it just makes it that much less likely that someone will choose Delphi in the future. The barrier to entry is raised that much higher.

16 hours ago, Joseph MItzen said:

paying $149 to be able to display an SVG file to any programming forum outside of this one, I guarantee you the reaction would not be positive.

The SVGMagic library has many more features than displaying an SVG image. Are you from CNN? Please don't spread false information.

Edited by PeterPanettone

17 hours ago, Joseph MItzen said:

far outstrips what any commercial vendor can produce (e.g. the Linux kernel

That may be your personal opinion (which in this case is also a widely spread misconception). The reason for the Linux kernel being an exception is that it's easy to outstrip Microsoft in this field.

Edited by PeterPanettone

19 hours ago, Mark- said:

"Source code included" is the standard phrase, concise and non ambiguous.

Why don't you tell this to the makers of the SVGMagic website? They will certainly be grateful for intelligent advice increasing their sales. I think this is the wrong place for criticism on third party websites.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Folks ... I had to delete a couple of posts that were completely off topic. If you really want to continue your personal dispute - please do this in a personal conversation and not here in public.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:44 PM, Joseph MItzen said:

Honestly, if I ran the idea of paying $149 to be able to display an SVG file to any programming forum outside of this one, I guarantee you the reaction would not be positive.

I've always said, "Make money with Delphi, not from Delphi". A survey of developers found that the number one reason they gave for choosing a language for a project was the number of libraries available for it (and preferably open source ones). When the Delphi community tries to charge for things that are free everywhere else, it just makes it that much less likely that someone will choose Delphi in the future. The barrier to entry is raised that much higher.

Joe, I am all for open source. That said - open source does not necessarily equate free (in as not having a cost) to use. 

If someone spent a good deal of time on writing code for a specific purpose, and there is a market for that code, I see no problem with asking for a monetary contribution for somebody else to use that code.  Buying it is a voluntary action.  Of course, people will only buy it if it adds value over any "free" competitors.

As for the cost: For an individual developer, the cost may seem steep.  If we are not swimming in cash from our own product, it is hard to defend spending cash buying code.

From a corporate perspective, it is cheap since the ISV takes responsibility for dealing with bug reports and feature requests. 

We happily pay ISVs like Eurekalog, TMS, and others because their products have value to us. They solve a problem and save us time. 

If this SVG lib does that for somebody, it is worth the money for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1