bazzer747

Delphi Closedown Error

Hi

I'm running on Delphi 10.3.3 Enterprise.

After a day's coding when I close Delphi I more often than not get the attached error happening. An access violation in rtl260bpl. 

Would you know if this is something that should never occur, or 'just one of those things'? It doesn't affect anything, Delphi runs as well as it always has. I often have 2 instances of Delphi running as I often copy over code from one project to the next, or form objects. This always works with no problems; I did think this might be the problem but I've done some testing and it's not something that is a hard error and doesn't happen every time.

Could it be the bpl is corrupted in some small way that only complains under certain conditions. Or something like this.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

DelphiCloseError.jpg

2 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Just a defect in some code that runs inside the IDE

Which includes every third party or homegrown component installed.

@bazzer747 If you install MadExcept you will get a nice stack trace of the error.

I think that might be GExperts, in particular when using the GExperts code formatter. I have tried to find and fix this issue without any luck for many years.

Sorry, don't use GExperts.

Might try the MadExcept, although I'm not really that deep into Call Stacks or the like. If it can point to any bit of code that I have created that would be perfect, but if the problem is in the VCL itself or the IDE or elsewhere inside Delphi I'm not sure I can do much (maybe report it to Embarcadero).

Yes, you're right. Not causing any problems, just annoying. I suppose it gives me a feeling that the application isn't as stable as it ought to be, considering the cost of it. And that other things may not be working as they should be, but I can't see them.

No worries, I just thought someone may know exactly what the cause was and had a solution.

There are lots of bugs in the IDE that could explain this. But this could equally be caused by bugs in design time packages or plugins that you have installed. It won't be caused by the code that you are compiling in the IDE. 

17 hours ago, bazzer747 said:

Might try the MadExcept, although I'm not really that deep into Call Stacks or the like.

If you post the madexcept error report here I'm sure we can help you - and you'll learn how to interpret a call stack.

Yeah, I got this too. I choose to ignore it, because I can't change it. I need or rather want all the plugins I use. Only thing bugging me about that error is, Windows wont shut down until it is "clicked away".  But I got used to that.

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

Only thing bugging me about that error is, Windows wont shut down until it is "clicked away".

You shut down Windows? Why?

I just suspend. Can't remember when I last did a shutdown.

That's one of the advantages of using Windows 7; You don't have to reboot so often due to windows update :classic_laugh:

I shut it down every day. Have done so since... well, always. You just can't get windows to behave as expected unless it's been freshly rebooted.

33 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

You just can't get windows to behave as expected

Unless you expect the unexpected 🙂

No but seriously, my experience is that if your hardware and the drivers are good, then Windows is pretty stable. Bad drivers can really mess Windows up but I guess that's expected. I'm also fairly conservative about what software I allow on the system. No cloud storage (iTunes, GDrive, etc), Chrome or Logitech drivers.

The Up Time on my main development workstation is currently 163 days...

9 hours ago, Sherlock said:

I shut it down every day. Have done so since... well, always. You just can't get windows to behave as expected unless it's been freshly rebooted.

So. Damn. True.

I'll always smile on the EULA of Win2k, which clearly stated that it's not an error-prone operating system and therefore it's not recommended for appliances such as in airplanes or rocket guidance.

But - as always - you'll always find gems. Once one of our customer called us and said that they "found" a running server under a desk in a closed-down section of the building. If my memory is correct, it had Windows 2003 installed and when we checked it it was up for 3,5 years straight. Easy without any real tasks, though.

9 hours ago, aehimself said:

Once one of our customer called us and said that they "found" a running server under a desk in a closed-down section of the building. If my memory is correct, it had Windows 2003 installed and when we checked it it was up for 3,5 years straight. Easy without any real tasks, though.

There are many of those stories. I heard about a Novell (remember them?) server which had been used for years but the company had forgotten where it was located. It was eventually found after a decade of uptime, still working fine. I think that's simply an urban legend, but it might also have been a marketing story.

BTW: Yesterday I finally found and fixed a problem in GExperts which caused an access violation on IDE shutdown (an OTAPI interface reference that wasn't released after use). But it was caught and logged by an exception handler, so nobody using a release version of GExperts should have seen it.

The fix was exactly one line of code, but it took me hours to track it down. The fun with working on IDE plugins: You can reproduce the problem, you see the call stack, you can even single step to the last line of your own code before it happens, but then you only get lots of assembler code of the IDE and other plugins which tells you nothing about what happens.

• Like 4