Tntman

Notification custom look

Hello all, I would like to know what is best approach for making and displaying custom notifications in windows 10.

Let me explain little  bit more.

I dont want to use standard win 10 notifications because they does not look and feel like they are from my app ( i cannot customize look of them how i want )

I want to show for example 200x100 notification on the right corner of the screen, notification should be 100% customizable to look like my design that i made in photoshop.. So I am not sure should I make some sort of borderless form and put some rectangles, images and labels that will represent look of my notification?

Notifications should slide and auto-hide after lets say 5 seconds...

So what would be best approach to this ? 

Also I have to mention that in my app I want to throw a lot of different notifications like when user click to save settings it should show notification, when user receive message it should pop up notification, when someone mention user name it should pop up notification and so on.......

So my notifications dont need to stack on each other, if new notification should be displayed i will first remove any other notification and display that newest one thats my plan

I am using FMX for this and OS windows

Thank you

Edited by Tntman

The way how i solved this is to make form without border with animations and display it in corner of the screen .. Add timer and on timer finish display closing animation, i have not found any better other method

12 hours ago, Tntman said:

The way how i solved this is to make form without border with animations and display it in corner of the screen .. Add timer and on timer finish display closing animation, i have not found any better other method

I am against custom notifications. I disliked MSN messenger, early Outlook (2003 era, maybe; can't recall) now Viber and all the others doing this as it completely breaks a computers look-and-feel. Especially since later OSes have their native notification system.

I half-implemented this once, but soon I realized that it's not that easy. A notification only worth it if it's above everything else on your screen - except some situations: you'll have to check for full-screen apps (gaming, video); possibly add DnD intervals and maybe allow the user that if a specific application is running - don't show anything. What happens if your notification covers the native notification or vice versa...? Would be nice to have some syncing to make sure it never happens.

That's a lot of extra work, and the OS already knows it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aehimself said:

I am against custom notifications. I disliked MSN messenger, early Outlook (2003 era, maybe; can't recall) now Viber and all the others doing this as it completely breaks a computers look-and-feel. Especially since later OSes have their native notification system.

I half-implemented this once, but soon I realized that it's not that easy. A notification only worth it if it's above everything else on your screen - except some situations: you'll have to check for full-screen apps (gaming, video); possibly add DnD intervals and maybe allow the user that if a specific application is running - don't show anything. What happens if your notification covers the native notification or vice versa...? Would be nice to have some syncing to make sure it never happens.

That's a lot of extra work, and the OS already knows it all.

Yes , in my app user can toggle on / off if he wants to get custom notifications.. Anyway I dont think that anybody will use my app its more for myself to learn more 😄 that is why i created design in PHotoshop and started making it

8 minutes ago, Tntman said:

its more for myself to learn more

In this case I keep my mouth shut - this is how we all experiment and learn at the end.  I still do dislike custom notifications, though 🙂

10 minutes ago, Tntman said:

Yes , in my app user can toggle on / off if he wants to get custom notifications.

Custom, as in notifications at all; or custom-themed notifications? People using computers nowadays are lazy. We don't want to flip a switch if we expect the program to know to keep quiet. Furthermore, if I already set "Quiet hours in Cortana"....

You can add a button like "Don't show notifications when [Insert currently active window title] is active". At least you have to click once, then never again.

I'm cursed to write my own - even - experimenting apps with my own comfort in sight. If I cannot do it with a feature I want to see in a finished product, it's a no-go for me.

P.s.: yes, I have hundreds of unfinished test projects 😞

13 hours ago, aehimself said:

In this case I keep my mouth shut - this is how we all experiment and learn at the end.  I still do dislike custom notifications, though 🙂

I really like them xd , maybe I add option for user to check if he wants custom or regular windows notifications or he wants to turn them off.. 

13 hours ago, aehimself said:

Custom, as in notifications at all; or custom-themed notifications?

Im not sure what do u mean but it is something like this -> https://subiz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/subiz-desktop-notification.jpg 

so it is custom look and feel with colors ,labels,images and all other stuff that I want to show..

I dont want to give all info about my app, top seceret 😈 lol .. JK, it is some type of chatting app ..

If u need vcl or fmx demo how i did it i can make it for u , but it is not that hard